Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 AM

Default PartyPoker 15-30: Changing Plans After a Draw Heavy Turn Card

This 15-30 hand was played online at PartyPoker. The table seems very normal. If stats mean anything, pots at this table were among the largest at the time.

The hand:

UTG open raises. So far, he hasn't done anything over-aggressive at the table. A few players fold to an MP who cold calls. Everybody else folds to me in the small blind where I call with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The Big Blind calls as well. Four players see the flop for two bets each.

The flop is: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

With this benign flop, I check with the intention of watching the action and probably check-raising on the turn. Big Blind checks. UTG (pre-flop raiser) bets. MP calls, I call, and Big Blind calls. Four players see the turn with 6 big bets in the pot.

The turn is: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

A 6 that puts a two-flush on the board. I quickly decided that was about as bad a card that could come as far as my hand holding up. The 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would have been worse, I suppose.

So, I changed plans and decided to bet out instead of the original plan of check-raising. Big Blind folded. UTG and MP both called. Three players see the turn with 9 big bets in the pot.

The river is: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:02 AM

Default Re: PartyPoker 15-30: Changing Plans After a Draw Heavy Turn Card

I don't understand why you dislike the 6h so much.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:08 AM

Im not so sure it was the 6h that made you change
your mind as opposed to : "Four players see the turn."
Id imagine you wouldnt like a suited 8 or 9 much,
also any T or J would diminish the value of a checkraise.

But either way I like the bet..You cant like it when
3 other players like a flop like that.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:25 AM

Hey Dynasty,

I'm not even going to read the postflop action, 'cause I hate your preflop call. On the "GoT Boo Scale", I give it 4 O's.

Boooo!

GoT
Old 04-13-2004, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I quickly decided that was about as bad a card that could come as far as my hand holding up

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's so bad. Anybody who had been on a straight draw would likely improve to a pair when the 6 turned, rather than improve to a straight. Flush draw? Maybe, but more likely you'd be the one read for some kind of solid draw by betting out on that turn card.

[ QUOTE ]
The river is: A756J. I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good bet. You'll be paid of by at least one if you're ahead and unlikely to be raised if you're behind.

If utg raises, you call, right? How about utg calls and MP raises?

Billy
Old 04-13-2004, 06:51 AM

Why would the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] be worse than the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:29 AM

It is very possible that AdXd is out there. The Ah is on the board.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 AM

Well, wouldn't 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] be equally bad then?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG open raises. So far, he hasn't done anything over-aggressive at the table. A few players fold to an MP who cold calls. Everybody else folds to me in the small blind where I call with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you calling 1.5SB with AQo against a seemingly reasonable player's raise from UTG?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 AM

So far, he hasn't done anything over-aggressive at the table. A few players fold to an MP who cold calls. Everybody else folds to me in the small blind where I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

At first I was like, I hate that call. But then I remembered the 2/3 SB structure. To me this is an easy call in the BB, an easy fold if the blind structure was 1/3 for the SB.

Assuming the BB comes along, you're getting 9-2. It's close. For me this is a fold because I'm leaning to the tighter side in the Party 15-30 as I'm still adjusting to the game. But for Dynasty, I think he can play this profitably and comfortably.

Luke