Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Poker and Stress

Well I woke up this morning again(at about 7:30 am), stressed out and unable to sleep any longer. This is my first time posting on this site, I can't really ignore the tension building up anymore so I thought i'd ask you guys a few questions.

First does anyone else have problems sleeping, I find myself tossing and turning... like I've put my whole bankroll on one tourney--- hard to explain. Sometimes I sleep like a baby but not usually.

Second, how do you relieve stress properly? I don't really exercise as much as I should (I only weigh 150 pounds), any advice or exercise regime anyone can recommend for me?

I apologize for not explaining the seriousness of this, I play poker every single day usually, and during the day I can get relaxed not stressed out at all. I'll wake up in the middle of the night though if I've had a bad day for instance thinking about poker and what happened. In the morning I get butterflies in my stomach(at this point I just want to go back to bed, but its impossible). Ok I'll shut up now, I appreciate your help everyone!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Poker and Stress

you will get some good responses in the psychology forum.

us NL players' nerves are half fried already. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 01:48 PM

You should move this post to in the psycology forum and not No Limit.

That said I have had very similar problems. When I am playing poker the adrenaline from the game makes it so that I don't need sleep. I have no problem playing a 36+ hour session but the minute that I leave the table (or the virtual table) my system shuts down and I am completely exhausted.

I also have trouble sleeping at nights and often find myself waking up to read twoplustwo. I no longer allow myself to play poker when I wake up in the middle of the night because I know that if I do I will have no chance of going back to sleep.

I also find that at least 50% of my dreams involve poker (kinda sad I guess) and I often wake up wondering if I played the hand that I dreamt about correctly! (I should really start posting my subconcious hands on twoplustwo)

I have talked to other poker players about the connection between sleeping disorders and poker and have found that many players have a similar experience. You should use the search function to see if there have been similar posts on the psycology forum about this topic.

Obviously you should get out more. I have read that many professional players keep themselves on a strict exercise regimine and truely believe that this helps their game, I would suggest that you do the same.

Good luck

-Steve
Old 12-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Riseabove,

Does your nervous problem only occur away from the game? Are you playing with scared money when you play?

First thing that pops into my mind would be a break, and/or lowering your regular limits.

I also agree that a regular exercise routine is great for your mental health as well as physical.

All else fails, play limit! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 06:56 PM

thanks guys for the help! I could use some additional advice so I'll probably post it in the psychology section. Cankid you make me sound like a noob "nervous problem", he he. I play high stakes all day(on PP) and I assumed it was relatively normal but it's beggining to bug the hell out of me, and I don't want to die of a heart attack at a young age ya know? and my sleep is full of tension, I'm rarely relaxed it blows. ah well thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 PM

I'm not a professional poker player, but my advice may be useful as an "outsider's perspective". Exercise sounds good. Also, how is your social life? Do you have some hobbies? Hobbies can give you some other things to get excited about so you can clear your head of poker. Are you getting laid?

Working out is a good start, and will help you feel better, biochemically. But you may also want to think about developing some other areas of your life, if they are being suffocated by poker. If you can't do that, it may be advisable to do something else with your life.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 PM

Might sound hokie to some, but I would look into meditation.
Often when I am stressed it can help me immensely, I feel like a new man in about 10 minutes.
Don't expect immediate results. It takes awhile before you are able to really center yourself.

It has been a big help to me, and I stupidly don't do it more often.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play high stakes all day(on PP)

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]