Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: session review, SSSH style

Abs. doesn't have royal hold'em. That's UB
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 PM

I love this idea. I'll be sending a PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:00 PM

This has been a fun activity -- sent you a PM. Thanks for bringing the idea over here.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Abs. doesn't have royal hold'em. That's UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 PM

that is the splitting of a hair.

btw, i'm in, and i think the site-specific stuff is pointless.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 PM

I am in and will PM, but my sessions may be not regular post-xmas; i would still gladly review another person's session.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Pairing up people might be better

Hi Numeri-

I've done one of these so far and I found it really useful. Glad to see it's happening in this forum so I don't have to check micros :-)

However, I think it might be a lot better to pair up people and have us review each others. It's less logistics for everyone concerned and it gives a better chance of actually making friends through the review process (after doing this 10x or so I think it would be great to have a few buddies you work with to improve your game.) At least for me, sending the HH to one person and r/c'ing them from another was a bit impersonal.

I like pairing up people from .5/1 to 10/20, though, I think we can all learn a lot from each other. Regardless of how you do this, I'm in of course, thanks for putting in the effort!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM

I'll add my .02 for some nuts and bolts on the actual reviewing process

What I personally do is copy the session into Word and do a couple of quick find/replace searches.

If my reviewee was MrWookie (which it is this time around)
I'll replace
"MrWookie with" - "<font color="blue">MrWookie</font>" (its important to do this one FIRST)
"MrWookie checks" - with "<font color="green">MrWookie checks</font> "
"MrWookie calls" - with "<font color="green"> MrWookie calls</font>"
"MrWookie bets" - with "<font color="red">MrWookie bets</font> "
"MrWookie raises"- with "<font color="red">MrWookie raises</font>"
"MrWookie folds" - with "<font color="purple"> MrWookie folds </font> "

--then I'll copy the whole thing into Excel.--

Here I'll:

Click the column with the hand history (which selects the whole column) then hold shift and select the two columns next to it as well. With all three columns highlighted, right click and select format cells

-click the alignment tab
-set vertical to center
-check the wrap text checkbox

this will format the thing so that it all stays readable in one column. It also gives me a column right next to the hand history where I can post my own comments. Now that the text is set to wrap, when I type the cells automatically expand to accomodate.

The reason I format three columns is so that when I send it back to my reviewee, he can reply to some of my comments in the next cell over and not have to worry about formatting. I'll also tend to change the font color of my own reply column.

Now, I just sit down and go over the session. I'll hit control+F (which opens the find window) and type "dealt." This takes me to the beginning of each hand (as in "dealt to <font color="blue">MrWookie</font> [7s 2h]")

If he folded I'll just click "find next" and move on. If he didn't, I'll go into full on stream of conciousness mode and type what I would do before looking any further in the hand.

Disconnected seemed to really like seeing his whole session reviewed (I'm most of the way done with yours Wookie), and I enjoyed making my own reads on the opponents and advocating plays based on those reads.

I'll post an ex later on when I get to the house. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Pairing up people might be better

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think it might be a lot better to pair up people and have us review each others. It's less logistics for everyone concerned and it gives a better chance of actually making friends through the review process (after doing this 10x or so I think it would be great to have a few buddies you work with to improve your game.) At least for me, sending the HH to one person and r/c'ing them from another was a bit impersonal.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been different, and I wouldnt mind continuing to work with two different people per session review.

In my own experience, there have invariably been a few hands that needed some back and forth discussion in both sessions, and a few hands that deserved to be posted when a consensus couldn't be reached.

I think that just pairing up would stifle that a little.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Pairing up people might be better

Guru, those are good points, and you've done more review sessions than I have. I retract my suggestion until I have enough experience to know what I'm talking about :P

Good tips about reviewing the HH, btw.