Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Thanks.. I\'m stupid (PLEASE IGNORE MY MISTAKE IN THE ABOVE POST)

[ QUOTE ]
You're absolutely right... I'm watching the Broncos Chiefs game, and lost focus.. thanks.

Im gonna edit the first post, because i hate looking dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

NP, we should all save each other from looking dumb, whenever we can... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Critique of numbers for first 100 $20 + 2 SNG\'s at Party

I appreciate the responses by everyone.

In response to Jman:

I agree that I probably could be more aggressive with 5 and less players. I try to be fairly aggressive but I do not go for the blinds every time I am button and it is folded to me and I have hands like 27o and 57o. I also do not generally push if I have just failed a steal attempt. I would assume that people would put me on tilt and call on a much worse range of hands. Maybe that is naiive thinking on my part.

In your first example, I admit I probably would not call here if the person raised it to t1100 which is what I assume you mean when you say an ADDITIONAL t700 (it actually would not be possible to make it t700 with t400 blinds so I think that is a logical assumption, lol). Perhaps I should. I do find on Party people make min raises all the time and are surprised when I call those but I generally will call a min-raise in the big blind with very minimal cards shorthanded (perhaps this is another mistake, but I don't think so).

On the second hand, I probably would be aggressive as well, I am not sure if I would make exactly that size bet but after showing strength pre-flop and having him check to me I will definitely fire at it again in most circumstances. I perhaps might not bet quite that much, and agree with your assesment at to why that is a very good size bet and will consider that in the future.

I do find that maybe sometimes I am too much of a 'feel' player, as sometimes I will 'feel' like it is not the right time to steal blinds even if I have a decent hand, etc. This is usually regardless of actual reads or tells because I play online, other than if I might think someone will call because of how much I have been going after the blinds.

Sometimes this leads to me making great laydowns, and not attempting to steal when opponents actually had great hands. Sometimes it leads to me not being aggressive enough. Sometimes it leads to me making unusually aggressive bets and calls which turn out to be very good. Sometimes it leads me to make BAD calls. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am interested in hearing if this happens with most players, and if so (as I'm sure it does) to what extent? E.g. I usually play the cards and position more than anything but still definitely do play on 'feeling' something like maybe 20% of the time (maybe less).

Also, I am interested if anyone has anyone comments about my post-flop play critique's of myself and my assesment of hand strength going down considerably in B&M tourneys.

Will
Old 09-13-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Critique of numbers for first 100 $20 + 2 SNG\'s at Party

I think nearly everyone uses 'feel' to some extent. I don't have an exact system for when I raise and when I call or fold.

When shorthanded, I usually base my moves on how I feel people at the table percieve me.

Since I'm tight early, it takes a bunch of steals before most people stop giving me credit for great hands. If I've raised the last two hands, and gotten no calls, I'll often fold medium hands. If I've been playing very tightly, I may attempt a steal with a poor hand.

I'm by no means an expert though. Just letting you know what works for me.

As for B&M winning hands being weaker, I think you are right to some extent. People play more hands live than online in general. There are many more flops live and many people limping A7o and J3s etc.

I think since there are often weak hands seeing the flop, these hands are less likely than the hands played by online players to hit trips, straights, flushes and boats.

Since you see more showdowns live than online by far, a larger percentage of these are won by pairs... Not a larger percentage of total hands played though.

I hope that made sense. And I also wanna make sure it doesn't come off as fact. Just me trying to logic my way through it at 5 am.

-Jman28
Old 09-13-2004, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Question for Eastbay...

I made the jump from 20s to 30s tonight.. Got 19 games in.

Here are my results and conclusions...

ITM: 52.63%
ROI: 100.8%

I conclude that these numbers are entirely sustainable and I'm the best poker player alive.

Finish..
1: 7
2: 1
3: 2

Again, I expect these numbers to continue throughout my next 100 tourneys.

Seems I've learned everything there is to learn here at 2+2.
I'll stick around just to help you guys out.

-Jman28
Old 09-13-2004, 06:44 AM

It's not that people move up to fast .... it's that they move back down too slow.

"[censored], I just lost $1000 since moving up to the $100s, i better start playing the $200s to win it back"
Old 09-13-2004, 07:09 AM

I believe that for many players, moving down in buy-ins when they should, is as difficult as folding a nice-looking hand, when it is obviously beaten.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 AM

Go ahead and run up your credit cards on a plasma TV, a nice piece of jewelry for your SO, and some overseas travel reservations, because you can pay them off at the end of the month at this rate!

eastbay