Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Commonplace KK out of position.

Not a unique hand, but the kind of situation that comes up with some regularity that gives me trouble. Basically, how do I extract some money from a likely steal/continuation bet without giving the hand away on a draw heavy board?

Party NL$400, 6-max, 5-handed. Villain is a fairly LAG-ish player who will very seldom enter an unraised pot without raising, himself. Effective stacks are ~$500.

I've got K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. Folds to villain on the button, who raises to $12. SB folds, I call. Re-raise here? Sometimes I will, but it seems wrong, since it telegraphs my hand and lets villain off easy.

Flop (pot=~25$): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $15, I call. This will probably draw criticism. The reason for the check-call is that I'm wary of building a big pot out of position with so many potential scare cards. Better to see what comes on the turn and make a decision then. Or do I just need to grow some balls?

Turn (pot=$54): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I open for $30. Villain thinks for a a bit and calls.

River (pot=$114): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Great river. I bet $65, figuring that to be an amount that top pair can call. Villain folds.

How's this line? What would be a better one? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Commonplace KK out of position.

Reraising preflop doesn't give your hand away at all unless you're playing very tight. You're facing a button steal, which could be almost any two cards. If this guy raised UTG at a 10-handed table, then you may be giving off a lot of strength, but here you can reraise with a wide range of hands.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraising preflop doesn't give your hand away at all unless you're playing very tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise preflop. If he is LAG, he will call. Its a draw heavy board, hence CRing the flop is really a great option here. If he calls you know he is on some kind of a draw. You make him pay for the draw on the turn if he calls your check raise on the turn. It also helps in building a pot.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:58 AM

reraise pf... inless your heads up against a crazy... heres why big pp play horrible on the turn as you never know what your up against. any str, flush, scares you and him and if that str or flush misses you could end up paying off a two pair type hand more then you would with say tptk. or even bet into it. and reraise alot pf with kings alot people will know what your holding are but hope to break you and call anyway with a weaker holding (mostly smallish pp or against looser players i see alot of kqo and qjs). the way i play most flops with kk is to bet just over the implied value of draws that hit and smallish bet if an A hits, i rarely get played back at but people call down all the time with weaker hands. and if a A hit a smallish bet looks like a ak that hits but wants people in so they fold inless they have you beat.

that's my two cent Sanctus49
Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 AM

I would have played every street different. Reraised PF, or if I didnt, check raise flop, and if I didnt do that, check raise turn. Probably would have won another $50 here at least, and if he had an overpair to the flop, I think Im stacking him here some of the time.

Bingo
Old 08-07-2005, 07:37 AM

i play this game alot...and i think reraising preflop is best plus the flop play lets him get a free card...i mean realistically he could have a9 or some garbage here and gets to draw for next to nothing. maybe its just me but i hate seeing some donk turn up garbage to beat my kk bc i didnt repop a steal preflop?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-raise here? Sometimes I will, but it seems wrong, since it telegraphs my hand and lets villain off easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on villain, you and game texture. 75% of the time I repop. >/=ATs will generally call. repopping also lets you see some free flops with 74o later on.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop (pot=~25$): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $15, I call. This will probably draw criticism. The reason for the check-call is that I'm wary of building a big pot out of position with so many potential scare cards. Better to see what comes on the turn and make a decision then. Or do I just need to grow some balls?

Turn (pot=$54): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I open for $30. Villain thinks for a a bit and calls.

River (pot=$114): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Great river. I bet $65, figuring that to be an amount that top pair can call. Villain folds.

How's this line? What would be a better one? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I c/c or c/r the turn. if he has a 9 he bets it. if he has 4-no outs he doesn't.

fim