Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Is High limit NL hold\'em only for the elite of the elite ?

I think I have an average IQ. You may know me from the small stakes NL forum. I've posted very good winrates over several thousand hands in .10/.25 NL and .25/.50 NL . I consider myself to be without a doubt a winning player in the .25/.50 NL and below limits. I've consistently made a profit of about 1K/month since January. Last night, I saw a $200 NL game with a 50- 60 % seen flop % and I thought that was as good a chance of any to see if I can do it. I got my ass kicked. Well, it was more of a slow rotting death. They pecked me to death. I generally don't bluff in low limit NL so after playing this way for 4 months straight I plopped $130 on the $1/2 NL game and I believe that I was bluffed to death. Not only that but I misplayed a set and knew on the turn that I had just misplayed the set. I guess losing $130 on a $200 NL game isn't much but considering that I hadn't had a losing session in a week, it really sucked. I thought I was superman.

Anyway, I'm average but have above average math skills. Is there any hope for me to learn high stakes NL ? I really want to learn. How did you guys learn the game ? It is clearly a different game than .25/.50 NL . I want to learn but I don't want to lose $5000 learning. It took me a while to get good at .25/.50 NL . I actually consider myself to still be learning a few things on low stakes NL. I've been playing NL exclusively for almost a year, though. In tourneys, freerolls, cash games, etc. Any hope for me ? Can someone share their progression ? I imagine downswings are quite a bitch since your edge is much smaller ?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Is High limit NL hold\'em only for the elite of the elite ?

Yes and you're not invited. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 01:25 AM

6 posts wow. I'm impressed. This post wasn't directed toward you Big FATSO. You have 6 posts which obviously tells me you are still learning. You think Greg Raymer or Chris Moneymaker spend a lot of time in this forum ?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:37 AM

Well, it sounds like you have the bankroll to move up - so do it! Just take your shots and think about hands you play constantly. Also try to picture your overall game and how others will play against it. If you never bluff, then only the really bad opponents will pay you off - etc. etc. etc. Just always be thinking about a strategy that will keep your hand hidden and your opponents guessing. try experimenting with TAG and LAG play. Switch it up and try it out. The players are bad enough at 1/2 at least where you can play a style you're not used to and still do ok. If you start losing too much, move down, think about why you didn't succeed (called too many bets, didn't use position, didn't control pot size, overplayed / underplayed hands, priced people in too much, and so on)...
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 posts wow. I'm impressed. This post wasn't directed toward you Big FATSO. You have 6 posts which obviously tells me you are still learning. You think Greg Raymer or Chris Moneymaker spend a lot of time in this forum ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should work on your logic to improve your poker playing. His low post number is not an arguement for or against his poker ability. BTW, Raymer did spend a lot of time on these forums prior to his winning the bracelet.

Eric
Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 AM

Your basing all this off of one table. Probably just a freak table. Sometimes the fish win. Its the same game. The NL 200 is cheese. Tight aggresive is the way to start out a new move up untill you feel comfy.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:10 AM

buy a book, one w/ alot of details on bluffing. i recomend the book that's flashing on the right side of the screen. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your basing all this off of one table. Probably just a freak table. Sometimes the fish win. Its the same game. The NL 200 is cheese. Tight aggresive is the way to start out a new move up untill you feel comfy.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...the guy never bluffs. it's like walking around w/ a tag on your back that says "kick me". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uh...the guy never bluffs. it's like walking around w/ a tag on your back that says "kick me".

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bluffing can be a winning strategy at almost any level depending on your opponents.

OP- This is how I think about poker... It's like a 63 vet with a 327... And a car like that purrs at all speeds. When you're driving it though, you need to be able to determine when you should be in first and when you should be in fifth. Working on these gears (1-5th) and improving your abilities with them is what makes average players great players. While intelegence can make a difference between good and great players, instinct and experience are just as important. I know a lot of brilliant people that can't read worth a damn and, partly due to the ego that accompanies that brilliance, will never be able to consistantly beat an average table because they outplay themselves or get too hung up on numbers. Limit poker is mechanical... a calculus problem that can be beaten by a player that has almost no feeling for nuance. Drill and Kill, as they say... On the other hand, NLH, is a work of art. It's the 63 sting ray that can be driven at 5mph or at 155mph.
Also, don't be so hung up on results. Hang up on proper play. Proper play will always lead to winning play in the long run. If you're a 2:1 favorite, you'll lose one in three times. Read from this forum, get better, work on your gears. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
My best,
Loci
Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM

you can succeed in higher stakes no limit. the bigger limitation is whether you can avoid tilt and play something a little more than nit-nut.

as you pointed out, the variance is much higher. you will have a lot of losing sessions / weeks.
Closed Thread