Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Post a poker variation you\'ve made up

This game is played (rarely) though I'm not sure the most common name for it.

BTW, runner runner is not eliminated by allowing only three board cards to be used; it's not even reduced.

I think you meant to refer to the situations where you flop the clear best hand only to have John Q. Imbecile make a one card flush or straight.

The problem is not that they occasionally do succeed; the problem is (or will be) that fewer and fewer of them are trying.

If we played with just ONE hole card the best hand would virtually never be run down - and there would be no games.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 AM

How about this? Not really a poker variant – just another way to run a poker tournament.

The event is run as a knockout. The game is heads up limit hold em and the tournament is for teams of two. One player from one team plays heads up against one player from another team and, simultaneously, the other two players also play heads up. The matches last approx 250 deals and are played in isolation from each other. The hands are ‘pre-set’ (but also random – no fixed deals) with both tables playing the exact same cards. Obviously one player from one team plays one ‘set’ of cards while his partner in the other match plays the other ‘set’ of cards. Whichever team has the most money at the end of the match are the winners. The stacks are huge compared to the blind sizes so noone is in danger of busting out.

This should – just about – manage the luck factor and the team that plays better has a very good chance to win.

It is basically a variant of duplicate bridge. It could also be played as a one-off heads up challenge, e.g. Negreanu and Hansen versus Harman and Forrest (or whatever), possibly with a greater number of deals. The challenge is to find the best heads up team in the world.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 PM

I once bought some cheap poker software that had a lot of variations of hold 'em, one of which was no-flop hold 'em - there are five community cards, but they're dealt out one at a time instead of 3-1-1. Didn't play it much, but it looked almost like playing stud with community cards.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This IS Pineapple.

When you discard after the flop it's Crazy Pineapple.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I "made" it up before I knew what pineapple was.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Oh I just thought up a good one right now reading this thread.

Aces Can Draw Hold Em

If a player has an ace in the hole at any point in the hand a player can request a new hole card by trading in the ace to the dealer for a new one out of the deck.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 PM

I posted about this in another thread, but it fits here too. A friend of mine made up a game he calls "Turn and Burn" which is hold 'em but the turn is wild. Fun game, especially if you're drinking.