Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Default I need help understanding this mindset

This post is in regards to Celine Dion's comments on Larry King Live. It is not meant to slam liberals or to be a discussion on whether or not the government is doing a decent job responding to this catastrophe. I just really do not understand this comment at all, and I hope somebody can give me a reasonable explanation as to why anybody could think in this manner, because so far, my mind only comes up with Chicken Little type arguments. Here is the statement in question:

"Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once,"

I can't possibly imagine that any logical person can think this way. Is she trying to validate looting? Or is she just commenting on human nature. Any logical arguments or discussion would be appreciated, but I really think that the question of the governments response has been beat to death, so I'd rather this thread be about the above quote alone.

Thank you,
-JOTR
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: I need help understanding this mindset

Shes being a condescending out of touch rich idiot (in my opinion).
Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once ...'

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this quote. I think there were so many other horrible things going on down there (people dying, tens of thousands of people trapped in the Superdome and Convention Center, rapes, murders, cops and soldiers being shot at) that any looting is just inconsequential.

Looting has been made a much bigger deal than it should have been.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't possibly imagine that any logical person can think this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, you answered your own question.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:40 PM

I don't hold it against the people in NO if they are stealing stuff. Most of them just want to sell the plasma tv's for money to survive. It's not like they're going to take the TV home and plug it into their non-existent electric supply.

Besides, Wal-Mart has insurance anyway.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 PM

They have insurance is the stupidest arguement I've ever heard for anything. Try paying car insurance in NJ and you'll see the effect of sky high insurance rates (a result of insurance companies having to pay claims all the time).
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 PM

A condescending liberal is as annoying as a condescending republican. And yes, I think she was excusing the looting.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:32 AM

I think she is French [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have insurance is the stupidest arguement I've ever heard for anything. Try paying car insurance in NJ and you'll see the effect of sky high insurance rates (a result of insurance companies having to pay claims all the time).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, wasn't "he's got insurance" the justification that Robert De Niro employs in the movie Heat? I believe it was...and De Niro was playing...hey, how about that...a THIEF!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit whining, shill. A couple people looting in New Orleans isn't going to affect my sleep one bit.