Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 02:39 AM

Default flopped a set. how bad did i play it?

This hand was played in the first orbit after i sat down, therefore no reads.

Preflop is standard, i assume.

On the flop i was planning to check/call, but then i got confused by a raise behind me. I was still in a slowplay mode and only called, but maybe it would have been better to 3bet?

The turn put a flush draw on the board and when the CO raised my bet, i only called again.

The river didnt pair the board, and since i put him on a flush, i checked, planning to call.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB
Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: flopped a set. how bad did i play it?

Raise that flop. Every time. Raise that flop.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 AM

Why would you ever wanna check/call that flop?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop i was planning to check/RAISE

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post. And since you did get the chance because of UTG+1's bet, you should raise.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:50 AM

perhaps i should have mentioned that i'm new to limit HE, that's why my questions are probably a bit silly.

OK, so i should never slowplay on such a flop.
What about turn and river? should i be scared to death by the flush draw or is it more likely that he has only an ace?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:00 AM

punish that flush draw on the flop like it's your job...and it is your job in that spot

if CO turned the flush he probably would've raised on the river

looks like he had AcQx ish hand and scared of the straight or the flush at the end?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps i should have mentioned that i'm new to limit HE, that's why my questions are probably a bit silly.

OK, so i should never slowplay on such a flop.
What about turn and river? should i be scared to death by the flush draw or is it more likely that he has only an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that I look at it, I don't like how you played the turn either. If I had taken your line on the flop, I would definitely CR the turn and see what happens. Since you donkbet the guy, I might 3 bet. If he caps you can start thinking about the flush. I think your choice not to get aggressive on the flop has made the turn a lot more difficult.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:07 AM

i disagree with others on the difficulty of the turn. 3bet it. for all you know he has ak with k club. if you are capped, i'd still expect to win about half the time here (by virtue of filling up or by ak, aq etc missing). don't worry so much about how much you lose with a set. play them fast and give them up only on the most dangerous of boards/or passivestest players. and even then lean towards calling down/raising flops/turns/rivers.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how bad did i play it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty bad. You need to 3-bet the flop.

The turn bet is awfull. Given that you didn't 3-bet the flop, you should check/raise the turn.