Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Case of checking AK is good?

horrible, horrible play. bad check preflop. bad overbet postflop. but look at it this way, you took down a HUGE pot.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you took down a HUGE pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

In case you misunderstoon gators, he is saying that the way you played this hand ensured that you would either lose a big pot or win a small one.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 AM

I find the dangers of slowplaying big hands like this always ends up smacking me square in the face. Raise preflop, don't let weaker hands see a cheap flop and outflop you. Hands like A3 and 83 probably won't call a preflop raise but if you let them in here for cheap you can easily end up beat and losing most of your stack. I'd rather win a small pot here and get on to the next hand than lose half my stack against a blind who outflopped me.

Do you generally beleive a blind who check-raises 2 pair on the flop versus your TPTK AK? How often do you get away from that situation? That's exactly my point....
Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 PM

I haven't read responses...

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good spot to check AK with a bunch of limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never check AK. Ever. Not even HU at the FT.

Would you check AA-TT with 3 limpers to you? No... So why would you check AK?

I don't understand what would make you think it's a good idea to check it because there's MORE limpers. You want to isolate with AK just like any other group 1. Allowing more people into the pot means more people are likely to spike two pair on the flop when you make TPTK. That's bad. Dont let the blinds have a free chance to suck out on you. It's a group 1, give it credit.

You got *very* lucky that someone didn't make a set, or two pair. Don't EVER not raise AK again. Play AK the way it should be played, and be happy with the action you get.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:19 PM

i will check AJo here. definitely not AKs.

limpers, im going to punish them with AKs. level 1, someone raises UTG+1 is a different situation, and ill flat call there, but here, definitely raise it up.

also, whats up with the flop bet? do you routinely overbet into the field from the blinds?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:55 PM

My table had been playing loose so I expected if someone had hit an ace, and there were 3 limpers in the pot, to potentially do that, that they would call. I would have gotten at least 150 chips out of them.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:26 PM

It MIGHT have been a good move if it was already heads up and you were going to slowplay it after the flop. You probably would have gotten a caller or 2 if you raised before the flop but with your play they all folded to your bet after the flop.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:41 PM

While maybe it is incorrect to say you should NEVER check AK, it should definitely be a rarity.

Case in point: At a recent tournament, I held 4-5D in SB. Six people limped in! (yes, it was an online tournament) $50 to me, pot is $450, so why not, one more limper won't hurt. Flop was A-2-3 D. Turn was K of something, river was another K. One guy limped in with AK and paid dearly.

Ok so it was a freak hand, but why risk it? Get the mediocre hands (and the total crap ones like mine here)out of there.... RAISE
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you check AA-TT with 3 limpers to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

checking TT is my standard, i might also check JJ.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you check AA-TT with 3 limpers to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

checking TT is my standard, i might also check JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike.