Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM

Default JJ vs a tricky fish

Villain has been a tough nut to crack all night. He's very loose pre-flop, but seems to play well post flop - at very least he's got some good hand reading skills. Several hands ago he pushed me out of the pot when he check-raised me with T8o on a 47TJ turn (I had KT and had raised the flop). Stat-wise he's 80/10/1 after about 100 hands.

Stacks:
Hero - 92.60
BB - 166.53

Hero is MP w/ J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, Hero <font color="red"> raises </font> to $4, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

($12) Flop (3 players): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $11, SB folds, BB calls.

($34) Turn (2 players): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets $20, SB calls

($74) River (2 players): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets $131.53 (all-in), Hero........?

His play on the first two streets left me thinking he had a flush draw. I figured he'd certainly raise with a K either on the flop or the turn. Not sure what to make of his all-in donk bet on the river.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: JJ vs a tricky fish

I'd fold here....you only beat a bluff. He could even be thinking he's bluffing with a king and a weak kicker and still be ahead of you here. The straight just got there. Sure he could be bluffing with a busted flush draw...maybe he'll show you that if you fold. As long as you know he'll try this thing in the future you can call this but i really don't think you can call here with second pair.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Muck it.

Dumle
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Agreed. Better to fold and choose a better time to bust him than make the weak call, lose the pot, and tilt. What did you end up doing?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:16 PM

I think the mistake you made in your read was automatically assuming he was on a flush draw. You have to consider QJ right here as well. He may also have 6c8c, which gives him a flush draw and a double belly buster on the turn.

Even if he was just on a flush draw with no straight draw, you still shouldn't make a habit of making this call unless you have a strong read that your opponent will overbet with a busted draw. You would have to go all in to make this call. It's just not worth putting all your chips in the middle when you can only beat a bluff.

Also his bet isn't bad, you only have $67 left going into the river and the pot is $74 so he's actually betting less than the pot and isn't really going all in.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if he was just on a flush draw with no straight draw, you still shouldn't make a habit of making this call unless you have a strong read that your opponent will overbet with a busted draw....

Also his bet isn't bad, you only have $67 left going into the river and the pot is $74 so he's actually betting less than the pot and isn't really going all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically, your thought process is similar to what I was thinking then. Yes, he certainly would bluff on a busted draw (I'd seen him do the same with a straight draw earlier), and yes his bet was actually a little less than the pot. Unfortunately I had a touch of tilt sprinkled over the top of this mess, which made the call seem logical....at the time [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]