Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Default no improvment on rolled up trips

i was playing stud hi today and caught rolled up deuces and brought it in for the minimum. there was a completed bet and i went ahead and raised it up (probably a bad move) and got two callers. i raised on every street until 6th when i got a reraise and it was then re-re-raised! hadn't improved yet. the two had a pair on board and three to the straight flush showing (wasn't too worried about this, but you never know) i was almost certain i was beat.

would it be correct to call a re-raise with another caller when the best i can catch is deuces full?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: no improvment on rolled up trips

[ QUOTE ]
i was playing stud hi today and caught rolled up deuces and brought it in for the minimum. there was a completed bet and i went ahead and raised it up (probably a bad move) and got two callers. i raised on every street until 6th when i got a reraise and it was then re-re-raised! hadn't improved yet. the two had a pair on board and three to the straight flush showing (wasn't too worried about this, but you never know) i was almost certain i was beat.

would it be correct to call a re-raise with another caller when the best i can catch is deuces full?

[/ QUOTE ]

the reraise on third seems correct to me. I think with all that money in the pot you have to call on 6th. How live are your cards though? if your 2 and all your other cards are dead, it may be worth saving 3+ bets
Old 02-03-2005, 04:41 PM

my cards were live, for the most part. my deuce was dead but, from what i could see, i had a lot of outs.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Big pot = no fold. Very good chance the s/f has a flush, the other guy may just have two pair. I'm thinking my fh may well still be good and there's a chance (admittedly probably small) that my trips are good. I'd call it all on sixth, and call one on the river for sure unimproved. FWIW, I play the roll up fast early, just as you did. You said you raised on every street, which implies that the others were betting in the face of your continued aggression. Sometimes this just indicates a big pair. I have seen players way overplay pocket aces this way. But it can also indicate hidden trips.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 PM

good point. now that i think about it i might raise on 7th if i catch a full house.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Not sure what the betting order was, but if the flush bets, the pair up just calls and you fill, I'd definitely raise. On the other hand if the flush bets and the pair raises, I'd just call with my full house and fold my trips.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 PM

the betting order was: pair, flush, me. if there was a bet and a call on 7th and i didn't improve, i would definately have to call because there is always too much money in the pot. but i'm thinking a raise would be appropriate with a bet-call and i caught my full house. even with just 2s full.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:35 PM

i also don't remember what my board was, but it was extremly weak, so i could have gotten away with a reraise there if i would have made my full. btw, i didn't improve and a straight took it down. other guy had two pair.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 PM

you want to fold in a huge pot like this?? no way on gods green earth. even if one of the other guys has a rolled up hand also this is still an easy call.

Pat
Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 PM

With (22)2, my default play is to bring it in for the minimum and then pop it if someone completes it. I also tend to hammer until someone gives me reason not to. If I really thought someone else had a full house, I might fold my small trips, but I'm tough to convince in situtations like this....I would see the river most of the time, and be prepared to pay off one bet even if I miss. The pot's too big to be folding a decent hand for one bet.

When you say that you raised on every street, do you mean that you bet every street, or that these guys kept betting into you and you then raised? If there was a lot of action, I might start to fear the open pair, but I probably still see the showdown.