Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Default How\'s this play?

.5/1 nl 6-handed
stacks around 100, except I have 200.
I've been at the table about 15 hands, and raised 4xbb at least half those times. My image is LAG.

Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
1 call, 1 fold, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, button calls, sb and bb fold, UTG calls $3 more.

Flop: (3 players, $13 pot)
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.60</font>, button folds, <font color="red"> UTG raises to $15 </font>, Hero calls.

Do you like this play? I figure if he does have the ace and I hit my queen, I'm getting paid off nicely, and if this is a bluff (which it looks like to me), he'll probably give up on the turn and I'll take it.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: How\'s this play?

Once your continuation bet gets raised, you're drawing to a gut shot straight on a paired board out of position. Even if you spike a miracle Q on the turn for a straight, you will be completely dead to AJ or AQ. Even though this is 6-max, this just seems like chip spewing. I'd fold to villain's flop raise and give him credit for at least an Ace.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paired board out of position

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero's in position.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to villain's flop raise and give him credit for at least an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why give him credit for an ace? I think an ace either bets out or check/calls here. If he has an ace and wants me to bet into him, why would he kill his action on the flop right away?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Bet more on the flop. I wouldn't mind a call with the idea of taking it away on the turn if you had a better idea of how Villian played... If you'd witnessed him playing open trips before and had a note on it for example. If he leads the turn, do you try to raise him out of the pot? Do you fold? If you hit a Q, are you comfortable getting the money in? But you said you just sat down and have only played 15 hands... What if this guy will call you down with JTo?

This is leakish, although I could see myself making the same play.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet more on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind a call with the idea of taking it away on the turn if you had a better idea of how Villian played... If you'd witnessed him playing open trips before and had a note on it for example. If he leads the turn, do you try to raise him out of the pot? Do you fold? If you hit a Q, are you comfortable getting the money in? But you said you just sat down and have only played 15 hands... What if this guy will call you down with JTo?

This is leakish, although I could see myself making the same play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am judging villain based on how most villains play against me. A lot of them make this move when I've recently sat down at a table and started pushing it around.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
A small bet will induce people to bluff at you, which is what you don't want given that you're bluffing yourself.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:40 PM

That brings up a good question: Is it ever worth inducing a bluff so you can bluff back?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That brings up a good question: Is it ever worth inducing a bluff so you can bluff back?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

bluffing in general is usually not profitable
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

bluffing in general is usually not profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT! nonsense.