Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Default single table or multi- table.... best ROI?

hey guys. is there any common wisdom on ROI for tourney's in relation to buy in, field size, and payout structure?

is it better to play a multi table that pays out 15x the buy-in or more for 1st? or is it better to play single tables that only pay out 4-5x the buy in for 1st?

rephrased... can you earn a higher ROI wading through large fields and taking larger, but less frequent cashes? or is it better to try and take smaller payouts more frequently in single table SnG's?

i can see how this could be largely player dependent, but i thought there might be some formula or theory that i was unaware of.

any thoughts would be helpful. i've always felt like it was just about as easy to make the money in a large field as a small one, but it's much more difficult to finish first. so i kind of plod along breaking even for the most part... just making enough small cashes to break even for a stretch, and then make my profit on the few top place finishes that come along. lately, i've been thinking i could make more playing singe tables and winning more often.

edit: for the record i'm talking about low stakes. $5-$10 buy ins for the most part.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: single table or multi- table.... best ROI?

well the variance is much less for 1-table tourneys

and u can make 10-30% roi in 10/1 single-table tourneys if u play solid icm poker

and u can more easily 8+ table single table tourneys

u can make 15/hour+ 4-tabling 10/1 single-table tourneys

plus they are faster so more rake, so more rb...for $/hour they are prolly the best

but mtts can win u thousands of dollars in a few hours...

check out the 1-table tournaments forum if u are interested in them
Old 10-14-2005, 08:20 PM

You can get a better ROI in the MTTs, but it's much higher variance and less $/hour.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 PM

Er.. i dont think it's less $/hour either..
I'm going to use the time estimates based on my sample (couple hundred for SnG's, 650 for MTT's)
you're in an average SnG for 40 minutes, and a good ROI is 15%..
i'm in an average MTT for 1.6 hours, so you'd only have to have an ROI of 50% to have a better hourly rate.

--

But that's table hours, you can't 8 table MTT's whenever you feel like it, cause it depends on when they're scheduled.