Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Please Comment

Midway through first break, 100-200, 25 ante. Slightly above average.

What is the correct play and why?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

CO (t7645)
Button (t3363)
SB (t5668)
BB (t12895)
UTG (t6693)
UTG+1 (t6617)
MP1 (t12530)
MP2 (t6479)
Hero (t8721)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8c, 7c.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t200, 1 fold, MP2 calls t200, Hero calls t200, CO calls t200,
Button calls t200, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1400) 8h, 7h, 5s (7 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets t1600, CO folds,
Button folds, SB raises to t5468, BB raises to t12695, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero?

call, fold?

All responses welcome.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Please Comment

As hard as it would be to do I would lay this down. The small blind has announced that he has a hand that is pretty good that he is willing to go all-in against you who made a pot sized bet and there is still a bigger stack yet to act.

The BB has got to have at least a set, or more likely he has the straight, since he got to limp he quite easily could have 96, 64.

since you gave no reads on these players it is possible that someone made this move with AhXh and are on a flush draw, but given the action I would discount this possibility.

Everytime I have seen a similar situation someone has a set at a minimum and in this case someone has hit the straight.

Unless your reputation at the table is that of a loose aggressive maniac that will go after pots that are checked, I would think that being checkraised to the degree you were by two people says that your top two pair are not good. Unless the BB is a total lunatic, you are beaten here.

If it were one player, and he was loose aggressive, then you could think about making a call here, but the BB even if he were a loose player has to have a good hand because he cannot buy off the SB with his all-in, but he can scare you off, or suck you in because he doesn't care when he makes his bet. You showed real aggression towards this pot, and yet he didn't care. Take the hint.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Thank you for your response.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:56 PM

I think from the action shown you are in deep trouble. You are drawing towards another 8 or 7, which could cost you a lot of chips because you have few outs because I agree, it looks like a straight to me.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 PM

if you want to win the tourny you need to take down a hand like this...but i can think of a zillion reasons to fold. id love to go for the full here but if 1 of those callers has to have a set...but it could be the 5's...but if its the 8's? you made a pretty big bet....they cant have you on a draw or bluff....as bad as id love to push and go for it the fact that the cards u need may be in their hands already makes me lay it down....