Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 07:09 PM

Default How do I handle big pots?

Hi,
I'm a first time poster, but have been reading 2+2 forums and playing NL (PS .50/1 + 1/2) for a couple months.
I found at first I was up, but recently I've had a severe losing streak. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Recently, I find that I seem to be winning less $ in big pots than I lose when I lose big pots - leaving me with a net loss.
How should I go about it when the betting gets heavy when I have a strong hand but not the nuts?

On low-limits, should I play looser? (KQo, AQo, KJo, A10s)When I play too tight, I notice that the pots that I win are blinded away...

Last question is should I make attempts to steal the pot on the flop firing two barrels or ever reraise someone who I belive may be making a steal at the pot? Or is it better to simply avoid such plays?

Thanks a lot! I hope to get out of this losing streak soon. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2004, 01:48 AM

Default Re: How do I handle big pots?

Regarding your losing money in big pots, it probably would be best if you posted some hands for review in this forum.

There's nothing wrong with limping with all the hands you listed, from any position. I open raise with AQo in MP / LP and raise with ATs in LP actually.

With lots of limpers I'll play more speculative hands in LP like Axs or suited connectors down to 76.

Regarding the last question only try that after you know your opponent very well and if they perceive you as a tight player.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 AM

I also tend to bet on the flop (if I have middle pair or A high), and if the opponent reraises (I fold) or if the opponent calls (I either fire once more then fold/check).

Should I be checking these? If I do check and they raise, should I fold or reraise to test their strength? Usually occurs with 2-3 players still in the hand.

I'll post hands once I find some good examples.

Ugh, I can't seem to hit a flop. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2004, 03:09 AM

Here is a very recent example...
I presume my mistake is not raising enough on the Turn. I also had a strong sense he had a full house when he reraised me, but I still called. Who would have knew he had KTo ?!? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed)

CO ($129.30)
Button ($99.70)
Hero ($85.55)
BB ($33.35)
UTG ($42.35)
UTG+1 ($90.30)
MP1 ($105.15)
MP2 ($250)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2.

Flop: ($13) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP2 folds, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($16) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2.

River: ($25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $36</font>, UTG calls $15.35 (All-In).

Final Pot: $96.35
Old 09-16-2004, 03:19 AM

Okay wtf. Just a few minutes later - raped by a 10 again.
I believe this is a bad beat...or should I have reraised all in on Turn.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($108.70)
MP2 ($101.30)
Hero ($71.55)
CO ($46.70)
Button ($91.65)
SB ($5.80)
BB ($128.60)
UTG ($29.25)
UTG+1 ($260.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $1, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $5, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($12.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($32.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($72.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $40</font>, Hero calls $36.55 (All-In).

Final Pot: $149.05

He had JJ.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:30 AM

Personally, your dollar bet on the flop cost you the pot. The pot at this time was $13.00. your bet shoud have been between 5-13. Not pushing on the turn was even worse you allowed this person to chase you down. Just my opinion.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:44 AM

I agree entirely. With 4 to the nut flush and a ten to make the nut straight on the flop, this is a 1/2 pot bet from me - even in first position.

When you happen to hit (both!) on the turn, I'm putting UTG all in. Not likely that he calls, and when he does (even when you lose like this example) just remember that you're going to beat him on this hand 10 out of 11 times.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:58 AM

all in on the turn for both hands.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 PM

You should raise all in on the turn in both hands. This dinkering around is losing you pots, if not losing them, at least not putting in all your money when ahead...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should raise all in on the turn in both hands. This dinkering around is losing you pots, if not losing them, at least not putting in all your money when ahead...

[/ QUOTE ]

I whole heartily agree! Those small bets are giving close to the right odds for the two pair hand to call, and with the stack sizes, huge implied odds.

Twice in the last couple days I've been checked into winners, one a 4 outter for the gutshot straight (guy flow played his set), and a 1 outter for quads (this guy kept checking his trip Aces on the flop and I got runner-runner). These are more extreme examples, but almost the same when the bets are kept small, as in the two-pair hand.

The smallish bets will be costing you more in the future as well, even when you win! Without getting the value for your hands, you're not "padding" your bankroll for those times that you do get outdrawn.