Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Default calling a short stack\'s all in..

how strong a hand do you guys need to call a preflop all in from a short stack? if that's a stupid question, i'm sorry, but i always feel like it's a tough situation. what do you think.. AQs? TT? you know the guys is desperate to play a hand... did he patiently wait for KK, or did he just push with the first PP or big suited hand he got? i know that it's somewhat read dependent, but i think it's the latter. i'd liek to hear some more experienced player's opinions.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: calling a short stack\'s all in..

That would depend a whole lot on the player. What hands have you seen him show down? Was he the chip leader at some point and just took a huge hit? Did his wife just walk in the room and give him the let's go hunny look? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are so many factors here. If I have a large stack, although there are no players I WANT to double up, there are players I REALLY don't want to double up. You definatly don't want to put yourself in a situation where this short stack player can come back and bite you later. Of course if your in the BB getting 10-1 on your call any 2 cards will do.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 PM

good response. i realize that it's a very player dependent kind of thing, although in a one table online situation there might not be enough hands to have a really solid read. in a friendly tourney with the wife giveing the 'let's go' look it's a different. i hate that look. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i want to add one more question... how does stack size figure into this? are you more are or less apt to call as the monster stack of the table?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM

I played a tourney two days ago where a player took a big hit and became the short stack with about 1 or 2BB and with the blinds coming around couldn't be very choosey about what to push with. The next hand he went all in and with 55 I decided to call. I didn't expect him to show down anymore than A Rag or KT. I was very surprised to see TT and doubled him up and he went on to win. So I suppose if you have plenty of chips and it wont hurt you to call and you are calling with at least some value, then call