Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: how do i play the big slick?

it was a NL ring game. i don't remember the position of each play unfortunately. your prior post was well written and i take your thoughts to heart. man... i suck at this game. mediocre but improving as i like to say.

just for the sake of argument.... a bigger/all-in raise with a powerhouse hand would be more appropriate in early position, right? in later position you could make a more moderate raise behind lots of limpers or a call if there happened to be some big raising action, eh?

my limit skills are much more refined than my NL skills. i need to do some reading in the NL forum, and hopefully there will be a new SSHE book geared towards NL. thanks for the response, btw.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a NL ring game. i don't remember the position of each play unfortunately. your prior post was well written and i take your thoughts to heart. man... i suck at this game. mediocre but improving as i like to say.

[/ QUOTE ]
It didn't take reading to many posts to learn I have a _lot_ to learn.

[ QUOTE ]
just for the sake of argument.... a bigger/all-in raise with a powerhouse hand would be more appropriate in early position, right? in later position you could make a more moderate raise behind lots of limpers or a call if there happened to be some big raising action, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
I started to give my thoughts here because I thought you were speaking pre-flop and then realized you might be generalizing... I think the question is too situational and wouldn't get caught up on where to make your "x" size raises but rather when you should make "x" size raise. If you were refering to pre-flop, I think you make a standard raise in early position... same raise always (e.g. 3 x BB) otherwise you're just asking to be patterned... you can choose to slow-play but I don't see the point of a varying size raise in EP as a general rule. I think in later positions too many factors could come into play to make a general statement... if I only knew what they were [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
i need to do some reading in the NL forum

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the best advice & me too!

- Fins
Old 02-12-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i see your point, but i'm not totally convinced. time and again people will call a value bet with something they shouldn't

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the idea... and hopefully it happens time & time again!

[ QUOTE ]
, where as they will lay down to serious aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]
You only want them to lay down if you're behind or out of position.

[ QUOTE ]
that's why i'm thinking the big or all-in raise will actually be better in the long run with a hand like AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there are alot of problems with this... raise like you should and play those players post-flop when you hit it.

[ QUOTE ]
i think nipping their dreams of making a flush with their J8s early on is better than building a pot and getting sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sucked out on means the odds were way in your favor... why would you want to discourage this type of play!

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think you can teach them to respect you by slowing bleeding them

[/ QUOTE ]
But it keeps them comming back! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
, because they couldn't start to tell you who won a hand 5 minutes earlier. i guess they would eventually see your stack and think 'geez, he's winning,' but i think they will remember the big aggresive bets more than any type of subtle quality in your play. a hand that is a favorite against practically everything before the flop.... i think you try to take down the pot right there, and if you get called you just take your chances, which aren't too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you do the opposite... build the pot when you're favored and hope you get called and called and called. Knowing your oponents and what to watch for is the most important thing. Waiting until you're heavily favored is another.

My thoughts (often in need of improvement),
Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

what fins said. i completely understand being frustrated with getting beat by inferior preflop hands. the answer is to make your opponent make mistakes. they won't suck out on you any more often if you value bet. but you'll make more money in the end.

when they do suck out on you, you won't be giving up your entire stack, either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'll report back tomorrow on my vow to value bet this evening.