Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Semibluffed and hit non-nut flush, was I spewing?

Literally the first hand of the day, no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Villain ($55.61)
Button ($42.92)
SB ($45)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($166.01)
MP ($67.58)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, Villain calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, Villain calls $3, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, Villain calls $5.

I don't think I played the flop too poorly, though I could have bet more to price out draws, Villain only had to call $5 into a $13 pot. Should I have led the flop instead of check raising? I was OOP and I wanted to see how people would bet.

Turn: ($21.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $31.50 (All-In), Villain calls $21.50.

Hit the flush and got action, which isn't necessarily a good thing... but I pushed anyway

River: ($104.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $104.50
Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Semibluffed and hit non-nut flush, was I spewing?

Short version: You want to get your money in here as fast as possible.

Long version:

Lead the flop, there is no PFR so there isn't any aggressor to check to. You were lucky. Pooooosh if you get raised on the flop, TP+FD is a monster in my book (oh and look there's a runner runner straight draw in there too!), gazillions of outs.

Given that your checkraise turned out to your advantage, your turn play is OK. I would have bet 2/3 pot, but it's not terribly important. A bigger bet makes it easier to get more money in on a nice raggedy river - you can't count on him to raise you on the turn like that.

Disclaimer: I like to be super aggressive with my draws.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Semibluffed and hit non-nut flush, was I spewing?

Correct about the non-aggressor check raise, I should have led the flop because maybe the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that beat me in the end would have folded instead of semibluffing like he actually did.