Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
But now that you know who it is, it's payback time. I would stalk him and beat him with a small sledge hammer. Not to kill him, just to break the bones in his body, and then get your X BOX back.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't sound very Christian... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gunny,
Congratulations, you are completely [censored] stupid! You cannot read! You are dense and ignorant! YAY!

You also have the maturity of a 4 year-old (that's mine, don't take it! wahhhhh! i'll kill you or call my mommy!).

My suggestion (If I were you, I'd listen up. I am above average intelligence. You, on the other hand, are not. I'm just trying to help you out.) is to leave the board now. Don't waste your time, you will inevitably be banned and are not bright enough to be a winning p*ker player anyhow.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you and Sephus both graduated from the same school of debate. Congratulations to you both. I'm sure you have a fine career in politics with the rest of the thieves, or those that think thievery is a gray area.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But now that you know who it is, it's payback time. I would stalk him and beat him with a small sledge hammer. Not to kill him, just to break the bones in his body, and then get your X BOX back.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't sound very Christian... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eye for an eye and all that... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM

In the scenario described, up close like that, a knife is really gonna ruin your day.

With the gun culture in most of the Western world, people seriously underestimate edged weapons and the damage that they can do.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM

actually my post pointed you in the right direction, but my experience is gradually teaching me the futility of using written words to argue with someone who has poor reading comprehension.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 PM

I am just giving him a little taste of Hell on Earth so he will repent and not go there in the after life.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said, it's not the stuff itself that matters, it's my time and energy that went into acquiring it. I really don't need a lot of "stuff" to get by. Look at it this way, by taking what I earned by my labor against my will, he is, in a sense making me a slave. There's no piece of paper saying I'm his, but if I have no rights to what I work for then that's what I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this very strongly. Unless you've been truly poor for any extended period of time, it might be impossible to fathom how incredibly hard it is to make any headway financially when you're on the bottom, and how even the smallest luxuries become windfalls that are proof of an enormous amount of time and effort in your life that it took you to get them. When a poor man finally is able to buy a t.v., it's an enormously big deal that means he has had to make some pretty disheartening and dehumanizing sacrifices, and when it's stolen, what is stolen is not just an object like a person with more money can go out and get tomorrow, but an actual meaningful chunk of his life that he'll never get back. The hurt is real. "It's only money" when money is plentiful. When everything comes hard, you really screw someone bad when you steal from him, and even deny his humanity.

I think that this is one of those issues that is basically impossible to understand if you haven't been poor. And I do mean that. It's just beyond comprehension if you haven't lived it, and for real, not the fake broke that some kids think they knew in college, where help was always a phone call away if they just steeled up their nerve and swallowed their pride enough to ask.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM

I think first I'd probably yell and use alot of swear words and gun gestures in telling him to get out of my apartment. If he hesitates in any way, his knees and chest are fair game.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While not more than 5 or 10 mins later my bedroom light turns on and I turn over and see someone standing in front of my bathroom door wearing a bandana over his face. Not realizing what the hell is going on I say "What the [censored] are you doing?" It's at that point I notice that he has a large knife in his hands. He quickly walks up to me, puts the knife in my face and motions for me to turn over.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point you don't know if this is armed robbery or he's going to SIIYP. I'd shoot him if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read so true crime stories and books that have described killers saying something like this when they attack you, so they don't have to see your face. A hell of a lot more people can stab you or shoot you than look in your face while doing it, including people who've killed many, many times before. If someone told me to turn over on my back, I'd be extremely scared that the next thing I would feel was a knife in my heart. Hell, to me it would be the equivalent of accepting that you're going to die and just deciding to make it as painless as possible for the both of you by not resisting your murder, kind of like putting on a blindfold in front of a firing squad.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the scenario described, up close like that, a knife is really gonna ruin your day.

With the gun culture in most of the Western world, people seriously underestimate edged weapons and the damage that they can do.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty true. At the range described in the OP, IF the robber was willing to kill the OP if he resisted (debateable considering he knew the OP), even a gun in the room might as well be in the store it was bought from. I believe the police can shoot someone with a knife that is within 20 feet of them because they constitute a deadly threat.

So the only other option is to shoot him as he leaves which, I think is wrong because he is no longer a threat.