Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:53 PM

Default flop straight, with flush draw

This is a live 2-5 PL game. I have around 800 everyone else in the hand has 400-500. I have AK. Already raised to 15, I call, 4 to the flop. Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Im on the button. First two check, next guy bets 50. I reraise to 100. First two fold, next thinks about it and folds. My question is should I have played it differently. I have a good feeling the guy who bet has either 2 pair and wants action or top pair and is drawing. Let me know what you think
Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: flop straight, with flush draw

It's probably a good idea to let people with one pair draw dead on the flop. You are so strong that you do not need to raise here -- your min raise shuts out all your customers.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably a good idea to let people with one pair draw dead on the flop. You are so strong that you do not need to raise here -- your min raise shuts out all your customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree. If the flush hits, you're either dead or getting little action. You want to get a decent amount of money in the pot now.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:16 PM

Well played but raise more next time. Make it 150-200 to go. Maybe they will put you on the flush draw and push their open-ender/top pair.

This is a clear raise though. A or K counterfiets you and all the flush cards either lose you the pot or kill your action.

Well played but raise more next time.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:22 PM

OK -- I originally thought that he had the AK of spades, and that is not the case. However, I still think calling and raising a non-spade turn is better than min-raising. You aren't protecting your hand when you min raise, and you are tying yourself to a pot which may look a lot less friendly on the turn if someone does (or TWO people call) your min-raise.

If you min raise, EP and original raiser call, and then a spade comes, what do you do?

My point is that you either want to raise big or not at all on this flop.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM

I understand what everyone is saying. My min raise was made to induce a re-raise or a flat call by the raiser because I really felt he had two pair or a draw but not a spaid draw. I think betting the 100 was a bad bet because the other two easily could have had a flush draw.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what everyone is saying. My min raise was made to induce a re-raise or a flat call by the raiser because I really felt he had two pair or a draw but not a spaid draw. I think betting the 100 was a bad bet because the other two easily could have had a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like a big bet. Here's how I see this hand. If either of them has the flush draw, you're not really getting payed much past the flop unless you can induce a bluff from a missed draw. OTOH, if the draw hits and they have it or don't have it, you're either dead or getting little action.

So there's little point in tryint to sucker a lot of money out of someone on the flush draw, IMO. On the other hand, there are two of them out there. Who knows if one of them flopped two pair or a set. A big raise sends them the message that you are trying to push out draws, which (a) will probably push out draws and (b) doesn't kill your action if a spade does hit, because they are less likely to believe you are on it, and may call bets further down the line with their unimproved two pair/set.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:08 PM

You should have gone all in on the flop. You can't let a set or two pair outdraw you.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a live 2-5 PL game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2005, 07:27 PM

My post was pretty obviously not serious advice.