Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Vegas hotel security

Slightly off topic, but hopefully one of you frequent Vegas hoppers can shed some light [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm stopping in Vegas for a few days before going home for the holidays, and I need to bring along a laptop to home for work reasons. Obviously it won't see much use while I'm in Vegas. I'm wondering how safe it is to leave it in the hotel room locked away in my luggage while I'm out? I generally haven't had problems in most hotels, but I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Vegas hotel staff may be more "liberal" in their privacy policies.

I'm staying at the Luxor, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2004, 03:16 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Vegas hotel security

I'm making my first visit to Vegas right after Christmas, so my advice is simply off the top of my head, but if I were you, I'd call the Luxor ahead of time and ask if they have a safe at the front desk that you can keep it in (I don't know whether they have room safes, but even if they do, I doubt they'd be big enough to accommodate a laptop). It should be safe enough in your room, but you never know for sure.

-Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 03:40 PM

If you aren't going to be using it, just check your laptop in at the front desk, pretty standard hotel practice anywhere, not just Vegas.

You have to watch valuables in hotels at any tourist destination. How many expensive cameras do you think get ripped off in the hotels around Disney World?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually just carry my more expensive items or leave them at home, so I haven't had to deal with this before. Luxor desk says they do have laptop-size boxes, so that's what I'll be doing.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:35 PM

every time i go to vegas i bring my laptop. i just leave it on the desk in the room.

i still have my laptop.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:51 PM

I go to Vegas two to three times per year for the past 20 years and have yet to have anything come up missing from my hotel room.