Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 PM

Default University Sponsored Hold\'em Tourney...(no content)

Ok, so the Student Union held a Hold'em tourney tonight, and while I knew it was going to be a crapshoot I decided to go anyway to try and find new players for our home game.

240 players. $3 buying. 1st = 500$ gift certificate to Best Buy. 2nd $300, 3rd $100.

So we walk in and get a cup of chips... they say "make sure you have 20 chips".. there are 3 color of your basic bicylce chips in there. No values to them.. just 20 chips.

Everyone ANTES 1 chips... no blinds, just antes... When I heard that I wanted to just up and leave! But I decided hang around and see what I could do with this setup.
Didnt get anything to play for the first 10 hands.. half my stack gone.
Finally flop 2 pair with a 10-3, bet, no callers. Then I get 5-5 next hand. Raised 3 chips, got put allin by the only person who has pushed all-in preflop (he probably did it 5 times out of the first 10 hands. Was called 3 times. He had hands like Q-4, J-7, ect.
I called, he had K-9off. Flops a K.

I just thought this was really funny. I figured the university would find someone who knows how to set up a tourny to organize this thing..

Oh, and the worst part of the tourny was that each table had 8 players. And each table would play down to 1 person, then they would create new tables.. and everyone would again start with the same amount of chips! So basically it was 3 tournys in 1....
Maverick anyone?!

Meh. Thats my story...
Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: University Sponsored Hold\'em Tourney...(no content)

OMG! THAT MADE ME WANT TO THROW UP OR PUNCH SOME ON IN THE FACE....i am sorry man. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Buddy,
How much did it cost you to get in? Just remember, you get what you pay for.
Since you stayed to play, you should have adjusted your play to suit the set-up.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:26 AM

So basically it was a $3 entry into a 3x shootout. I'm playing for $500? Against those dumbasses? I'm f'in down for playing that EVERY week. Point the head monkey towards homepokertourney.com and his bicycle chips will still work.

Sorry about your bad beat (not really ; ), but if you're any kind of card player you'll be back in that thing as much as you possibly can. $720 in entry fees and $900 in prize money... you even have overlay! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically it was a $3 entry into a 3x shootout. I'm playing for $500? Against those dumbasses? I'm f'in down for playing that EVERY week. Point the head monkey towards homepokertourney.com and his bicycle chips will still work.

Sorry about your bad beat (not really ; ), but if you're any kind of card player you'll be back in that thing as much as you possibly can. $720 in entry fees and $900 in prize money... you even have overlay! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. I'd come out to play this [censored] too. Free money all around!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you stayed to play, you should have adjusted your play to suit the setup

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much you can do to adjust when there is nothing to play, and most times everyone was seeing the flop. You just have to be lucky enough to hit a couple flops in the first 10 or so hands. If not, too bad.

I too want to play against this type of field... provided they make a few adjustments to the structure.
Blinds instead of antes is the #1 thing. You dont have to have different denomination chips to do this.. but the problem becomes when the blinds/antes are as high as 16 or 32 (which they did get that high last night... i heard later) and you have to count out 16 or 32 individual chips. It would get to become a hassle and slow things down A LOT.