Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: top set w/ horrible river in Bellagio 4/8

In a huge pot, you're not trying to minimize losses. You're trying to do what you can to maximize your chances of winning the pot.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 PM

I find the responses to this post to be quite humorous and a great example of why results should never be included.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM

Instead of folding face up I would've laughed really loud, asked for the river to be switched to no limit, and pushed all-in. Then I would've said to tbe BB "YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE RED KINGS AND MY BOY OVER HERE HAS 9T OFFSUIT NO CLUBS SO C'MON CALL IF YOU WANT BITCHES."
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BB looks back at his hand and says "ooooh!" as he leads. I fold faceup "accidently" like the douche that I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things: first, that "oooh" is probably someone trying to force you out, meaning you should stay. Second, he is drunk so don't read into it. This pot is big and you have a real strong hand.

Second, don't "accidentally" show your cards ever in these games. Especially not to a drunk who you don't need knowing you are capable of a big laydown. He's not thinking anyway, so if you are right you are just showing off, and not affecting his play in anyway.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 PM

If you make folds like that regularly then it is most definitely a leak. The pedant in me says "calling when you should fold costs a fraction of a bet, while folding when you should call costs a big fraction of the whole pot!"
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise if HU, but with someone acting behind you, it's a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's exactly the opposite of what i'm 95% certain you SHOULD do.

(you should just call if it's heads-up, but raise if there's a guy to act behind you here.)

the reason is because you've pegged the bettor as being weak, so there's a very good chance he's bluffing. if you can isolate him here on the river and make a better hand fold behind you, that's absolutely fantastic. heads-up, though, raising is an unnecessary risk because there's no better hand you want to fold behind you.

aseem
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Guys, I'm honestly not being results-oriented. When I was reading the OP and read "oooh", I immediately thought, "no clubs". It's a dead physical tell at the low limits.

But, the OP brings up a good point that we might not have a good chance of folding a small flush behind us sinec he's been calling two cold the whole way and is obviously pretty loose.

Generally, though, this river is a raise when you've pegged the bettor as being weak and you would LOVE to be able to fold a better hand (weak flush) behind you. In this huge pot, that's AMAZING!

Since you are not confident you can fold a better hand even 1 in 10 times or so, a call might be best.

But definitely. Do. Not. Fold.

And again, I'm NOT being results oriented. It's SO much better to pay off the rivered flush than to make a mistake and lose this humongous pot.

Good luck,
Aseem
Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 PM

Everyone is hammering tis guy on his misread of a tell. For a start this is ludricous. Firstly, how can someone interpret his tell in print form? Secondly, how many of you even play live? Seems to me most of you play online, and when you do play live it seems more recreational. Myself, I only play live. (Reasons disclosed in my forthcoming post.) My only advice in this situation is when the drunk checks his cards, he most probably cant remember if he has a club or not. 'Ooooh' can be interpreted how ever you want. But this is a call. As dumbass No:1 will bet his high pockets whatever anytime anyday, and Dumbass No:2 will coldcall even with a baby flush, probably even a baby straight. This is what my extensive experience says, and this is what I would do. Assuming these guys are just tourists of course.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A raise if HU, but with someone acting behind you, it's a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's exactly the opposite of what i'm 95% certain you SHOULD do.

(you should just call if it's heads-up, but raise if there's a guy to act behind you here.)

the reason is because you've pegged the bettor as being weak, so there's a very good chance he's bluffing. if you can isolate him here on the river and make a better hand fold behind you, that's absolutely fantastic. heads-up, though, raising is an unnecessary risk because there's no better hand you want to fold behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but look at the read on the CO: sometimes loose preflop cold calls, pretty good post-flop.

He cold-called two bets on a monotone flop. There aren't a lot of hands that makes sense for that don't involve an Ace of clubs.

I think the call is the safest, and if you see a raise by CO, a fold might be in order.