Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 05:35 PM

Default How to deal with dell

Ok...I am going to make this as short as possible because it is a LONG story. Basically, 3 months ago I ordered a dell computer, which i was told could support 2 monitors, and 2 of the 19" screens. Anyways, I get the computer and it can only support one monitor. That was all ok, so I called them and ordered a videocard that could support 2 monitors. Well, about a month after ordering the card, it has still not arrived, so I checked its status online and I was told the order had been cancelled...So, I call them up wondering what the deal was and they had no clue what was going on. So, I reordered the part and was told it would be rush delievered to me within 2 days. 2 weeks later, no videocard. I called back again and was told it was on back order and that It would be sent within a week...As of 2 days ago, it is still not here. So I call asking to return the whole system as the computer is basically useless to me as I bought is just for 8 tabling. They then tell me I can not return it because they only take returns up to 21 days after the purchace. So, now I am left with a computer I dont need. What am i to do? I emailed them stating that if I knew I would not be able to get the part in within 3 months, I would not have ordered the computer in the first place. I am still waiting on a response that I am probably not going to get. So, what am I to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: How to deal with dell

if what you want to do is actually just get the video card, and not neccessarily return the whole system, then just cancel the video card order through dell and buy it from somplace else, such as newegg, etc., where you can get it cheaper and faster, with more selection anyway.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:55 PM

The problem is that dell is the only one that makes the card to fit this thin computer. I took it to best buy first and they claimed that dell was the only place to get it. He could have lied though...hopefully he did. I will give that place a shot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM

Steps to happiness:

1. Go to best buy
2. Purchase the appropriate 2 monitor video card
3. Go home
4. Install
5. Plug in both monitors
6. Enjoy

That'll be $45 for the advice. My pokerstars ID is Chief911.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if what you want to do is actually just get the video card, and not neccessarily return the whole system, then just cancel the video card order through dell and buy it from somplace else, such as newegg, etc., where you can get it cheaper and faster, with more selection anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Oooooh. FORM FACTOR PAIN!

That sucks.

Here is your solution sir if Dell doesnt have the vid card in stock:

USB External Video Card - Wheeeee
Old 07-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Great...this looks like it should work. I greatly appreciate it. When I get rich, I will send you your $45.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 PM

one last question for you before you buy.

you said you bought this system to 8 table.

are you aware that it doesn't seem that you can do that without overlap from what i think i've seen from your descriptions.

i'm not sure that your monitors, (the 19", IF they're the flat panels,) are capable of 1600x1200 resolution, which is neccessary for no overlap.

also, it seems that the card you're considering doesn't support that resolution, even if your monitor does.

not trying to rain on your parade, just making sure that you will be accomplishing what you originally hoped to do, before you lay out any more money.

peace,

2easy
Old 07-08-2005, 06:53 PM

I meant the 21" fps2001 things or something like that...what all the 8 tablers get. As for the card not supporting the resoultion, I have no clue. Anyone here know how sure? i just figured that the only thing that mattered was the resoultion of the screen. I know nothing about computers. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 PM

card resolution is just as critical.

if you have the 2001fp, then you're fine with the monitor.

however, reading from the link that was provided to you, it seems that this card's maximum resolution is 1024 x 1280, which would not provide you with "no overlap" viewing of 4 tables per screen.

do your research, WHOMEVER you get the dual input card from, (including the one you were originally considering through dell,) and make SURE that it supports 1600x1200 resolution, or you won't accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.