Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Poker on a linux computer - some tips.

I'm just learning this stuff, but I will post more as I learn.

Background - I had grown tired of people always saying "pokerroom.com" for linux users because no download is required. I don't have a poker room.com account, don't want one and wanted to play on the sites I was already playing.

What works:
Crossover office: This seems like it is really great, it does cost 40 bucks, but they have a 1 month trial that you can give a whirl if you wish.

* Several poker rooms work well in crossover office specifically Poker Stars which apparently works the best, but party will work decently with some modifications.

If anyone is interested in this or needs help please let me know.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Poker on a linux computer - some tips.

Good looking out for the open source guys.
Also lot's of stuff in here:

Linux
Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 PM

I've been playing under vmware since January so far and loving it. I'm particularly happy to know it's isolating the extent of what the online sites can snoop through. I setup Poker Tracker to use a PostGresql database running on my Linux box and also opened it up to be accessable from the other computers I play on. (work, laptop, etc) Had to up my RAM though, but with 2 gigs and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, it's perfectly usable.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM

are you playing stars or party? or both?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM

I'm very interested in running Party Poker in crossover office. I have Novell Linux Desktop (SuSE) and crossover office already. What are the modifications you are talking about?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very interested in running Party Poker in crossover office. I have Novell Linux Desktop (SuSE) and crossover office already. What are the modifications you are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you should forget it. I tried ub, party and stars. IIRC stars was the only site that would work (party and/or ub would never run, always complaining about some html file).

I fiddled with it for quite awhile and realized:

1) this is a very fragile setup when it comes to something like potentially losing online money from emulation glitches;

2) any change or new software from a site would likely put me back in troubleshoot-mode with no guarantees of getting it working again;

3) would require getting pt/gt+ working under xover as well.

Been using vmware ever since and IMO it's the hands-down only way to do this. (And setting up linux pgsql to serve pt like the other poster mentions should be pretty cool if I can get it working).

Mike
Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 AM

I have successfully run Party and Stars on a Linux boxen with Wine installed. I had a Windoze partition (dualboot), so YMMV if you do not have an original Windoze installation. Worked great, except the graphics on Party would occasionally break so I couldn't see the contents of the chat box. Restarting Party solved that. Also, it's important to setup your fonts correctly, because Wine will substitute another font if it can't find the one requested. So you may end up with text areas which do not fit correctly in the software.