Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Books: Starting a business

A friend and I are planning to start a small business offering a technology product/service. On the technical side of things, we are good to go. We have a good idea of how/where we want to market.

Our big problem is that we don't really know how to go from idea to actual business. We have no experience in starting a business although we have a good amount of experience in the business world.

Anyways, I'm looking for good a good book on what paperwork needs to be done, etc etc etc.

I found this on amazon:
Six Week Start-Up
Got good reviews. Any other recs?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Books: Starting a business

No book recs, but just make sure your marketing/getting customers plan is solid. Don't just have a few ideas you think might work.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No book recs, but just make sure your marketing/getting customers plan is solid. Don't just have a few ideas you think might work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we're not even close to actually marketing anything yet. We will probably get some books then when the time comes as well.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:20 AM

I made the mistake of thinking customers come easy. If you guys can sell yourselves, that's some of it, but you need to sell your product (this is where I fell over). If you can't, you need to consider bringing in someone who can - but obviously not a real pro - you won't be able to afford it.

You'll need someone 'cheap' until it takes off, and to support someone like that if things take off (and if they're good at getting customers - give em whatever to keep em), you'll be wise to aim to expand rapidly.

And if you do, I am a techie webhead, and you can give me work [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM

www.entrepreneur.com is a great place to start. They have a huge knowledge base in all areas of starting a business.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Lots of info at the SBA.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:16 PM

Im in the same process as you, I basically have taken the last couple of weeks, to get things hammered out. See an accountant first (if your family has one, a free consultation shouldnt be unheard of). I talked to a lawyer friend about filing for a LLC, most lawyers charge about 350-400 to do it. You can do it on the net for about 100$, depending on your state. IMO, the planning/recording keeping are best to get setup asap, so you have an easier time when you start selling etc. I have quickbooks setup, integrated with ACT! software, can print my own checks etc, if you have any startup money, which Im assuming you do, you can find business checking accounts with no fee, as long as you keep a min balance (my bank is 5k). Ill check out my bookshelf when I get home to see what reading I can reccomend, because I cant think of anything off of the top of my head.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
A friend and I are planning to start a small business offering a technology product/service. On the technical side of things, we are good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you can't use google on a browser extension. this got a lot funnier.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:41 PM

No book needed.

I would just start looking for a good lawyer and accountant. And I mean look hard don't just hire the first ones you find. Set up a meeting and treat it like an interview and they are applying for a job you have to offer. The only way to see who will be good is to meet with 5 or 10 then it becomes clear who wants to be a part of your team and who just wants to push paper and suk money from your business. Be very picky, if you can't communicate and work well with these 2 your business is going to suffer.

They will tell you what to do and when and they will do the rest. It really is common sense you just get the ball rolling and then try to stay ahead of it. As with everything hard work and attention to details is what makes the difference in the end.

gl