Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-26-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: AQs, 8 left, Stars 10+1, feeling stuck

I check to villain and go with what my gut tells me after he bet. I might donkminraise a smallish bet and see what he does. Basicly I hate this situation, and prefer deciding preflop if I think he has AA/KK or not. Then push or fold. Without any reads this is very hard.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call and take a flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this situation, and prefer deciding preflop if I think he has AA/KK or not. Then push or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 12:04 AM

Changed my mind after you asked what I did on Q-high flop.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 AM

ask yourself this mason...if you have AKos and not AQ is it an easier decision ???
Old 11-27-2005, 01:05 AM

I like a push. You are much more likely to be called down by crap preflop than postflop (in my experience). Also, pushing ensures that you will see all five cards. Sometimes you'll get outplayed on the flop (if you only call) when you whiff, and that sucks.

-Gross
Old 11-27-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a push. You are much more likely to be called down by crap preflop than postflop (in my experience).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a compelling argument for pushing now at all. Winning this pot without contest is much more attractive to me than getting K9 in there.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, pushing ensures that you will see all five cards. Sometimes you'll get outplayed on the flop (if you only call) when you whiff, and that sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you get to go first on the flop, it will be hard to be outplayed when you whiff if your plan is to bet.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:49 AM

What I didn't say is that you'll get villain to fold often too. If you push, there will be three outcomes; they will fold and you'll take the pot. The will call with a dominated hand. They will call as the favorite. Weaker players holding AJ will call you down, but the J-9o's will probably fold. In my experience, they'l fold or you'll get called by a dominated hand often enough to make this a good play.

Being first to act after the flop is nice for a stop and go, but I still push preflop.

-Gross
Old 11-27-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you push, there will be three outcomes; they will fold and you'll take the pot. The will call with a dominated hand. They will call as the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, now that is [censored] profound [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 07:48 PM

Was talking to a friend today and telling him about this hand so I figured I'd post results (not that they matter).

I pushed, villain had AA. I am fine and believe that I made the correct play. The thing that got me thinking was that the flop came queen high and I would have gotten stacked no matter what I did in this instance. It caused me to become results un-oriented and consider whether a SnG or a push preflop was better. After thinking for a few days I think a push was best in this situation.