Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Pushing AK Preflop

Beat the donkeys after the flop, not preflop.

I push AK alot, but it's always against those dreaded shortstacks that hang around with <30bb's and try to limp/minraise into every pot. I don't remember the last time I did it against a normal stack.

Given your little history that you gave us...it's still hard to say whether to push or not. If you thought you were good, and didn't mind taking a potential coinflip, then go for it. (I hate the term coinflip btw, you are behind all pp's except 22, which I think is an actual coinflip)

I don't like variance, so I probably fold this and if the situation would come up real similar again, then I might be more inclined to push.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cant ever rationalize pushing AK pf without having tournament chips in front of me. Something about the fact that I will almost always have a better spot to stack them later just makes me not want to do it.

Is this weak-tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to find out. I haven't seen a good, mathematically based coherant argument that pushing is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

One can do the EV calculation...

1) WHat % of hands he raises to $25 folds to a push?
2) What range of hands does he call a push with.

Then do the trivial calculation using pokerstove and a hand calculator.

I think the % in 1) is very low. And the range in 2) is not as tight as you would think. Try out some combinations and see the results. The answer might be illuminating.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I almost always fold to the raise to 25.

Is your push attempting to avoid a coinflip/split pot or to get value off an ultra lag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Value off of what seems to be a fish/lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

so calculate what range he would have to reraise with to make this push profitable.

Off the top of my head, you basically need him to be reraising AQ, AJ here and be willing to call AQ, AJ here to make this push profitable.

[ QUOTE ]
In a cash game, I find the value of pushing AK preflop comes from when dominated hands call, not from FE, and dominated aces don't call often enough with deep stacks from my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the situation I was going for. I didn't WANT FE, I wanted him to call, knowing I was almost for sure either a coinflip OR way ahead. I'm not afraid of the variance of flipping a coin for $150.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I almost always fold to the raise to 25.

Is your push attempting to avoid a coinflip/split pot or to get value off an ultra lag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Value off of what seems to be a fish/lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

so calculate what range he would have to reraise with to make this push profitable.

Off the top of my head, you basically need him to be reraising AQ, AJ here and be willing to call AQ, AJ here to make this push profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I thought I just needed AQ. I guess I'll have to think about this some more.

So the consensus is just fold to the $25? Calling is obviously pretty bad.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't WANT FE,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you do. FE can make the difference between this being marginal/borderline and +EV.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM

yeah, I reckon, like the others, this is very wrong. If you don't want FE what hands is he calling with that you're ahead of? AQs. Nothing else really. If he's a super donk and will call w A7s you will undoubtable get his money later anyway so there's no need to take this shot when you are not possitive. The only great thing about this push is fold equity vs 88-QQ and AK. If you run into AA or KK which are the most likely calls then you will suffer massive losses of course. This is hardly a coin flip. The history you provided does suggest that you could be way ahead here but the question is how can you play it profitably from this point. The only way is by folding I think. Like others have said you need to confirm him as a super donk preflop before you jam this. Then, you can be confident he will be calling w AXs enough time to make up for your disadvantage when he has 88-AA.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't WANT FE,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you do. FE can make the difference between this being marginal/borderline and +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that in the sense that it wasn't my MAIN reason for pushing. Obviously I like it if KK->22 folds and everything calls.

Anyways, it looks like a hand I thought I played pretty well was actually pretty butchered. Glad I posted this.

Oh yeah, I flopped an Ace and took out his QQ.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Whoa I just fold to big preflop re-raise OOP with AK. Maybe this is +EV but he is almost never folding a pair here so it comes down to the usual question of whether or not he will call all in with AQ/AJ. If he will, the push is obviously +EV but if he wont then I dont really like it. He probably has a pair lower than KK and he probably wont fold it. I prefer bigger edges.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa I just fold to big preflop re-raise OOP with AK. Maybe this is +EV but he is almost never folding a pair here so it comes down to the usual question of whether or not he will call all in with AQ/AJ. If he will, the push is obviously +EV but if he wont then I dont really like it. He probably has a pair lower than KK and he probably wont fold it. I prefer bigger edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I usually do lay this down without a second thought. I think I just got caught up in the moment since I was on a rush and villain and I had clashed hard 2 out of the last 4 hands and he was an unknown who seemed crazy.

I will got back to continuing to lay this down to the 3 bet.