Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Default 88 Later in the Game

Usually I'm in push/fold mode here. Now that I actually have a few chips, should I limp and play for set value? It's short-handed and 88 is probably the best hand on the table, can I raise? How would you play this preflop (postflop I like how it is, really don't want to do anything fancier).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter

SB (t2975)
BB (t1745)
UTG (t605)
MP (t945)
Hero (t1730)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t200) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds, SB calls t100.

River: (t400) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t500
Old 08-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 88 Later in the Game

SB &amp; BB have huge stacks, so limping is greattttttt. If you miss, I like the muck, no need to spew chips now.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should I limp and play for set value? It's short-handed and 88 is probably the best hand on the table, can I raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think limping for set value is a good idea here. You tend to play smaller pp for set value when there's been a raise and you can expect some good action if you flop the set. Just limping on the button (expecially when the blinds have gotten semi-significant) has little value because chances are even with the set the SB and BB will not have great hands that will pay you off.
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t200) T, Q, 6 (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t200) 5 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets t100, UTG folds, Hero folds, SB calls t100.

[/ QUOTE ]
there's no reason why you shouldn't have bet this flop. Even if you didn't raise preflop you can still represent at least a Q. Since you didn't bet the flop the BB was able to bet his 10s which have your 8s in bad shape.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter

SB (t2975)
BB (t1745)
UTG (t605)
MP (t945)
Hero (t1730)

the blinds aren't getting very big relative to Hero, SB &amp; BB's stack. Unfortunately, limping here for set value is less valuable because you aren't likely to get paid off if you hit. Bet any flop is good.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's no reason why you shouldn't have bet this flop. Even if you didn't raise preflop you can still represent at least a Q. Since you didn't bet the flop the BB was able to bet his 10s which have your 8s in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree, iff I think my opponent's are smarter. This is an $11; furthermore, my specific read on the table is that I have little FE in general. Were there only a single idiot opponent (maybe 2), I'd chase them off this flop (seeing as I have a few chips). But with 4 of them, Qs, Ts, naked As, Ks and Js will all call and I'll be lost on the turn. I'll check, whoever called the flop will bet, I'l fold and another caller will push his pocket twos [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].