Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Learning to think on the fly -- a test

I normally post on the high stakes board, but I read this board occasionally, and I had a hand that I thought would be useful for others to evaluate.

Beginning players tend to think too much about "default" lines, often at the expense of hand reading. This can lead to VERY suboptimal play. Give me your thoughts on how you would handle the following situation.

Game is 10-20 NL, 4 handed. Villain in the BB has $2600. You have him covered.

Preflop

Folded to you in the SB. You make it $75 to go in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain calls.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

How would you play the flop against the following players? What would you do if reraised? What is your plan if the turn is a brick? Assume in all cases that you have the image of an aggressive (but not crazy) player.

Scenario 1

Villain is generally tight preflop. He tends to reach a "decision point" early in hands and does not fold a made hand very often on the turn or the river unless the board is very scary. He is generally sensitive to pot odds, etc. He is capable of bluffing and playing aggressively if he senses weakness. He is a winning player.

Scenario 2

Villain is a weak, but not wild, player. He calls and folds too much on all streets, and does not raise frequently enough. He is not tricky.

Scenario 3

Villain is a big LAG. He has more guts than judgment. He plays too many hands. He bluffs too often and in bad spots, but he is good at picking off bluffs by opponents. He is capable of folding if he feels he is beat, but he is also capable of betting/raising all-in with the nuts, air, or something in between. He can be tricky at times and is difficult to put on a hand.

I will post the turn card later on and give everyone a chance to reevaluate.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Learning to think on the fly -- a test

I'm leading 2/3 of the pot in each of these situations because I'd do that heads up with ATC after a preflop raise so there's no reason for my to lay off when I actually hit.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM

And if you are raised?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 PM

Scenario one is one I flop bet for about $200. He isn't in with air but is going to be behind alot of the time here.

Scenario two is a default line, pot the flop, maybe even underbet the flop by a bit, just get him in this.

Scenario three is an overbet like scenario one, I know they are polar opposites but the line is good for both.

Cambraceres

Old 12-10-2005, 06:42 PM

What if you are raised?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game is 10-20 NL, 4 handed. Villain in the BB has $2600. You have him covered.

Preflop

Folded to you in the SB. You make it $75 to go in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain calls.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Scenario 1

Villain is generally tight preflop. He tends to reach a "decision point" early in hands and does not fold a made hand very often on the turn or the river unless the board is very scary. He is generally sensitive to pot odds, etc. He is capable of bluffing and playing aggressively if he senses weakness. He is a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If raised by Scenario 1 player after I have bet 2/3 of the pot on the flop, I am calling. Preflop: the pot was $150. After my bet (~$100), Villain's raise (~$400?), and my call, the pot should be at $950.

With $950 in the pot, I am check-pushing on the turn.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scenario 2

Villain is a weak, but not wild, player. He calls and folds too much on all streets, and does not raise frequently enough. He is not tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your read on Scenario 2 villain, his flop raise makes me nervous. He is not tricky and doesn't raise enough, as you said. To me, this means his raises give away too much info. Hero raised preflop and bet the flop. A raise at this point from villain seems like twopair or better, although heads up it could be top pair. I call the flop and lead the turn. If raised, I'm gone. If called on the turn, I'm probably check/calling on the river depending on villain's bet size.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are first to act. Are you open pushing or CR all-in in Scenario 1.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario 3

Villain is a big LAG. He has more guts than judgment. He plays too many hands. He bluffs too often and in bad spots, but he is good at picking off bluffs by opponents. He is capable of folding if he feels he is beat, but he is also capable of betting/raising all-in with the nuts, air, or something in between. He can be tricky at times and is difficult to put on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Hero's 2/3 flop lead is raised by Scenarion 3 Villain, I am 3 betting. Villain is LAG and tricky, so I can't really tell what his hand is, but I'm way ahead of his range. That said, there are 15 cards that scare me on the turn, and I'm gonna have a hard time folding if any of them hit.

Because of this, I feel that just calling Villain's raise is giving up much in the way of implied odds. My plan is to cut down on the implied odds that I'm giving by getting more of my stack in while I am ahead of his range.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are first to act. Are you open pushing or CR all-in in Scenario 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, should have been more clear. My plan is to CR all-in in Scenario 1.