Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-20-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Interesting hand 43s raise in 6max NL!

Here is how it went, I dont' have the official hand converter so here it goes in my own words!

Crypto network (Betfair) 6max 1/2 pound NL, max buy-in 200 pounds!

Me UTG 300, the other guy 200.

I have 43h and raise 6,
I get 2 callers and the small blind reraises to 24!

I called additional 18 - now I know you may find it a questionable play but that's the way I play and it works for me, those hands are great moneymakers when they hit and they also ensure that after flopping a set of Ks you can build 200 pound pot because no one believes you!

2 callers folded, so the pot is 60 pounds.

I was sure at that time that the SB had either JJ-QQ or KK. He wouldn't reraise from the first position with hand that needs help from the flop and I felt he would make a smaller raise with AA.

So, the flop came

3d 7h As

and the SB put in another 25, now I was even more sure he didn't have AA as he would like to trap me on such benign looking flop and I certainly didn't believe he would reraise with 33 and 77.

So I called.

The turn came

5h

Now I had plenty of outs (2s, 3s, 4s, 6s and hearts for two pairs, straight and flush) and I liked what I saw plus I had the position and the A on board as I still believed he had JJ-KK.
At that time I expected him to stop betting and I would make a pot sized bet and pick it up right there.

But too my surprise he bet another 40.

I almost instantly put him all-in for my remaining 200, his 100!

He called and the river came another A!

I was toast and he overturned QQ!

After that I was subject of mockery: retard, muppet, haha serves you right for raising with 43s!

But in my opinion his play was bad as I wouldn't be laying any A rag from the flop on, plus I had a ton of outs and he hadn't anything going for him but his inability to lay down QQ and much luck!

So, what do you think?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Interesting hand 43s raise in 6max NL!

Bad players call when they shouldn't. You can't bluff the passive fish.

They make their mind up preflop that they are going to the felt when they get AA KK or QQ.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 AM

I belive you would have been $200 richer if you would not have played 23h... Sure you did read him right but that do not mean thet he will fold if you bet.

Lets think like he might have thought!
-Hmm this player put me all in. If he would have had the A then he would not have put me all in her. Wtf lets call!

Preflop do I not think that it was a good decision to raise or call with that hand. Maybe limp whold have been ok.. Postflop could your hand only win on a bluff. Was it really worth risking 176 pound to win that pot on a bluff....
Old 11-20-2005, 12:59 PM

Have you got quite a crazy image? He may have looked at the draw-heavy board and decided that it was just as likely that you had a draw as a hand that beat him. I'm not saying that it was the case, but it's possible that he just read you correctly.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM

I think you should have raised the flop there. There are a few reasons for this.. If you had say AK or AQ, which you are hoping to represent, you'd raise there. Second, if he's going to call you down you're going to find out cheaper than making a pot-sized turn bet or pushing as you ended up doing. If he calls your raise on the flop, you can probably get a free look at the turn try and catch up.

So my action would have been:
Flop: Raise him to about 75.
If he calls that, the pot is now 210. He's put in half his stack and is committed to go all the way most likely (24 preflop, 75 on the flop, he is going to have 100 behind).. Most people can't get away from a hand with half their stack in the pot. So your pot and implied oddds to draw out govern your turn and river play..