Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:48 AM

Default so my professor threatened to throw me out of the class....

So I went to my science lab today after sleeping through the lecture, and cutting both on Monday, as is my normal school attendance style.

The school's policy is that a professor is allowed to give you a WU grade (equivilent to an F) once you miss 4 classes, however, so far in 4 full years, and about 40 classes total, about 37 of which I cut more than 8-10 times in a semester, I have had only 5-6 professors threaten to drop me, and only 2 that I felt were serious enough that I dropped the class on my own.

I have apparently missed 8 lectures and 7 labs of the ecology class. The professor pulled me asside and said if I missed one more lab or lecture I would get the WU.

Now, assuming I pass all my classes, this is my last semester of college. I would like to pass. However, based on past performance over the last 5 years, it is highly unlikely I will not miss another class.

My options are as follows:

1. Continue my normal routine and hope the professor is bluffing.
2. Somehow attempt to go to every class - If you reccomend this, pleas explain how I can break a 5 year habbit.
3. Just drop it now myself and get a withdrawal instead of a WU, and take the class in the spring.
4. Same, but take the class in a 6 week summer session
5. Drop out of school.

Recommendations???
Old 10-20-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: so my professor threatened to throw me out of the class....

[ QUOTE ]

Recommendations???

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit [censored] around, and either go to college or not.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:51 AM

if this is the last semester of college, just suck it up and go. If you really don't think you could (which i would 100% uunderstand) then take it over the winterbreak, if offered, and if not, then next semester.

The classes over summer/winter breaks are way easier anyhow.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if this is the last semester of college, just suck it up and go. If you really don't think you could (which i would 100% uunderstand) then take it over the winterbreak, if offered, and if not, then next semester.

The classes over summer/winter breaks are way easier anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My school got rid of winter break classes.
Summer is cool because it's only 6 weeks, but it's a lab class, so it's like 6 hours a day, 4 days a week.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:57 AM

wow. Perfect attendence for 2 years of Culinary School. That includes getting up at 5:45 for a year, and one special week when class started at 3:00am. God bless Breakfast Cookery.

Point is, halfway through the semester for ONE class that meets THREE times a week, you are faced with the guantlet of having to attend the remaining what, 15 class sessions? And it probably meets at, what, 11am? And you don't think you can do this?

Ok, buddy. Have fun in the real world. I'm sure there are jobs that allow you to miss a day or two a week. I'm just not sure what any of those jobs are....
Old 10-20-2005, 04:02 AM

Change your location to Absolute Class.

Just go each time. Frankly it's quite silly to not go to your classes anyway. You're better off just checking books out at the library.

Maybe you can enlist the help of a friend or someone you know in each class. Someone who will remind you that you need to attend when it's starting up.

Yugoslav
Old 10-20-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, buddy. Have fun in the real world. I'm sure there are jobs that allow you to miss a day or two a week. I'm just not sure what any of those jobs are....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to go off on OP in the next paragraph but my job actually allows me to do this. I usually only work 4 days a week and no one cares if I show up or not. I am a programmer for the DoD though. Govt jobs are the best.

To OP: You are a effing senior in college. This ish is expected from a frosh but Jesus. If you're not ready to take responsibility for you education at this point you wasted a lot of money over the last 4 years. I hope your parents didn't pay for your school. If so they got ripped off. You should have gotten a McDonald's application instead of a college application if this was going to be your attitude. Skipping a class or two is no big deal but if you're constantly getting threatened to get thrown out of classes you really shouldn't be in college.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in the real world bro. Until last month I had been working a full time supervisory job, frequenlty 40-60 hours a week, with a near perfect attendance record, WHILE attendinf 4 classes a semester. I could always motivate myself to go to work, because (a) I am getting paid (b) people depend on me there and (c) I enjoyed the work.

Working a job is not the equivilent of going to school in any way.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:29 AM

I did this throughout college, but I would miss the maximum days that were allowable by the teacher, if that teacher had a policy. If not, I was more than likely not there.

If you need this class to finish your degree, do it. If it's extra hours, then drop it. Get some of that money back that you put into those few hours of actual classtime. Otherwise suck it up, go to class, and enjoy the last part of the semester. You don't have to pay attention.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:34 AM

Can someone please explain to me why you would pay $x thousand (> $30,000 in many cases) per year and skip all your classes and not learn anything?

What a effing waste of money.