Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Default My first attempt at home brewing

I recently acquired a very cheap home brewing kit, and just got done trying my first batch.

The kit is called Mr. Beer (www.mrbeer.com), and is very cheap like I said before. But, I always thought brewing my own beer could be fun, but this way I can try it out for cheap in case I find out I don't like doing it. So the kit came with everything I needed to brew ~260 oz. of a beer called West Coast Pale Ale. Last Sunday it began fermenting, and was supposed to ferment for a minimum of seven days. About 5 days into it it appeared the fermenting was done, but I waited anyway.

Yesterday I bottled the beer. Now it usually needs to stay in bottles for ~7 days to carbonate. The instructions say you should know when the beer is ready if the bottles are rock hard (if you use plastic bottles). I filled up four 2 liter bottles, and had a little left over so I filled up a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle. This morning the Gatorade bottle was about ready to burst so I figured it might be done, and I was anxious to try it anyway.

I put it in the fridge, and let it cool down, and now I'm currently trying the first glass. The first thing I noticed is that it's very hazy, and not clear at all. I think this may be because it's not filtered beer, but I'm not sure. I was actually surprised at the taste. I haven't had many pale ale's before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it tasted pretty good. It has a kinda bitterish after taste, but not too much. It also tastes a bit like flat beer, so it probably was not fully carbonated, even though the bottle was on the verge of blowing up. So I think it turned out okay, and I think the remaining four 2 liter bottles should taste even better.

I also ordered some more recipes off the Mr. Beer website to make some more.

So, does anyone here do actual home-brewing? I know there are a lot of beer snobs in OOT, and I thought maybe someone could point in the right direction of doing some inexpensive real home-brewing.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: My first attempt at home brewing

I used to brew a batch a month. Haven't had time in awhile. These Mr. Beer things are good to start, but you'll soon move past that to brewing your own recipes if you enjoy it. I used to make special batches for all kinds of occasions and print off special labels and give it as gifts too.

Jake's Blackberry Stout was some goot [censored]. And that fruit sugar makes it strong as [censored].
Old 08-22-2005, 04:51 PM

A friend of mine home brewed while we were in college. It was cheaper than regular beer, way more potent, and definitely more tasty.

He used glass bottles though, I'd suggest you look into getting two cases of them.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM

Never done it, but I hear of good things on this forum:

might wanna check it out.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Yes. You really should use glass bottles as suggested by the other poster. Just save all your non-twist-off bottles. A hand bottler is <$10. Also, the way to get clearer beer is to siphon all but the bottom inch or so into a new container halfway through the fermentation. At the end of fermentation, siphin it into the bottles and leave another inch in the bottom. That's where all the sediment is. And always make sure you never shake it up or stir that stuff around.

This is the bible of homebrewing. Get a copy.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM

I ordered some glass Grolsch stlye bottles last week.

[ QUOTE ]
And always make sure you never shake it up or stir that stuff around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, why not?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:13 PM

You surprise me once again, Jake.

Now that I've finished building my newest kegerator, I'm looking to get into homebrewing once my finances settle down a bit. I figure I'll start with kits to get my feet wet, but move as quickly as possible beyond them. Any other reviews of kits, or what to lok for in a kit, would be appreciated. Also, any info on homebrewing that is hard to find elsewhere. For example, my damn kitchen is really small. Not only does this mean that I don't have a ton of room for pots and whatnot while actually brewing, I don't exactly have a ton of room for the stuff to sit around and ferment. How much of a footprint does a typical batch of beer have? I'm assuming that kegging my beer will take less room than having a hundred bottles sitting around.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I've finished building my newest kegerator...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My damn kitchen is really small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... very nice.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Glad to hear that worked out OK. But really that's homebrewing with training wheels, frankly.

If you really want to get into it, you can get start up kits for around $100. It's a little harder to do, but worth the time compared to the simple one-step Mr. Beer type of setup. Glass bottles are a must. Start saving any bottle that isn't a twist off one.

Here's a local place close to me as an example, which sells the supplies. Depending on what state you're in, you should be able to find a local home brew supply store.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 PM

Sterilize, sterilize, sterilize.