Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: OK... I\'m thouroughly confused.

I forgot where I read this but in any game the is an ideal way to play post flop and possibly an ideal way to play preflop. An elite poker player can switch between TAG and LAG as the situation demands.

If you can always have ur poker strategy summed up in 3 letters then chances are u aren't playing top of the line poker.

I determine preflop play by the chance villian will pay me if I hit/be out played..the higher it is the more hands I'll play.

It is all very situation dependant. Nut peddling meand bad poker player because he is unable to read opponents to see if they actually thave the nuts or not and most good opponents will be able to read him and stay away.

A bad lag who bluffs everypot can just as easily be countered against.

Poker is all about not being predictable/ being able to predict your opponents.

This is even true in low limit games but you can be a TAG Opponents won't pick up on your style anyway since it is impossible to be predictable when ur opponents arent' really even trying.

I hope this makes sense, this post was getting kinda long.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TAG has almost become a word synonimous with bad play (nut peddling), poor post-flop play, and a person who can be bullied out of each and every pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

man just cause some people (me) have been calilng YOU weak-tight doesnt mean im saying "TAG" play is nut peddling, poor post-flop play, or being bullied at all
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM

One of problems at any forum like this is to figure out who knows what they're talking about. There is always room for a difference of opinion, but there are certain basics that I call NL 101. When you come to understand a lot of NL 101 its easy to pick up on who speaks (writes) sound fundamentals. Big Jim is an example of a poster (like ML4L) that knows and speaks the basics. Posters that want to argue about the fundamentals are to be ignored. Posts like that from ML4L are to be bookmarked, studied, analyzed and diagnosed. If you don't agree with one of these opinions then formulate a response, read it over, print a copy, study it, do it again the next morning, and make sure you have some foundation for your disagreement. If you disagree and have a solid case (see BobboFitos for examples) then we'd all look forward to hearing from you.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot where I read this but in any game the is an ideal way to play post flop and possibly an ideal way to play preflop. An elite poker player can switch between TAG and LAG as the situation demands.

If you can always have ur poker strategy summed up in 3 letters then chances are u aren't playing top of the line poker.

I determine preflop play by the chance villian will pay me if I hit/be out played..the higher it is the more hands I'll play.

It is all very situation dependant. Nut peddling meand bad poker player because he is unable to read opponents to see if they actually thave the nuts or not and most good opponents will be able to read him and stay away.

A bad lag who bluffs everypot can just as easily be countered against.

Poker is all about not being predictable/ being able to predict your opponents.

This is even true in low limit games but you can be a TAG Opponents won't pick up on your style anyway since it is impossible to be predictable when ur opponents arent' really even trying.

I hope this makes sense, this post was getting kinda long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that we are saying the same thing, just in a different way.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Two observations:

Appox. 60 to 75 percent of the money that's won or lost in cash games is bet on the turn and the river.

The terms TAG and LAG tell you lots about preflop and flop play, and a lot less about turn and river play, which depends on reads and prior action. Even the laggiest LAG, if he's smart, knows how to shut down on late streets when he's behind and can't push an opponent out of a pot.