Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Criticizes the WSOP \'s one-dimensional lineup

Not to mention they make a crapload of money hosting Hold'em events over any other event.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was your idea. I volunteer you to do the research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look no further than the 2-7 event, which had 20 more entries this year than last. That's a 5K rebuy event.

There is a lot of money in poker right now. There are a lot of people in Vegas during the WSOP who are jonesing tournament action of any kind and the atmosphere inspires people to take all kinds of shots.

It's also possible to run these less-popular events on the same day (staggered) as hold 'em events without hurting either turnout too much. At WSOP 2005 they played the 5K SH and the Razz tournament on the same day, and both were rather successful.

So far I haven't heard a compelling reason why Harrah's would be hurting themselves by offering more events. They have the resources, they have the economy, and they have the interest.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

2004 #'s in blue

6/17 $1,000 7 Card Studd High-Low 8/B: 595 (2004 similar was $1,500) <font color="blue">213 </font>
6/20 $2,000 7 card Stud High-Low 8/B: 279 <font color="blue"> 224</font>
6/20 $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha: 291 (2004 similar was $2,000)<font color="blue"> 145 </font>
6/22 $5,000 Pot-Limit Omaha: 239 <font color="blue"> 145 </font>
6/23 $2,500 Omaha High-Low 8/B: 359 (2004 similar was $2,000) <font color="blue">234 </font>
6/25 $5,000 7 Card Stud: 192 <font color="blue"> 144 </font>
6/30 $1,500 Seven Card Razz: 291 <font color="blue"> 195 </font>
7/2 $5,000 Omaha High-Low 8/B: 224 <font color="blue"> 121 </font>
7/6 $5,000 No-Limit 2-7 Draw Lowball: 85 <font color="blue"> 46</font>

As always with the WSOP, the schedule is nowhere near the same year to year, ditto the entry fees, so "similar" events needed to be used. A while back I broke down the events and buy-ins for the WSOPs from 2002-2004, trying to come up with the "perfect schedule" for another site, and one funny factoid is that in 2002, there were a grand total of 4 Open NLHE events (including the ME). I might go ahead and re-do the breakdown altogether. I know I came up with something like 40 total events.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stud and Razz are boring to watch. Unless you're a nut about those games, it really is boring to see these games played ... bet, call, bet, call, bet, call, two pairs wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really enjoyed the 2004 Razz, especially watching the normally unflappable Howard Lederer become agitated at making "three pair" on the river. It made me feel better about screaming at my computer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, the Stud event with Ted Forrest calling the normally solid Chad Brown all the way to the river with a winning pair of deuces was great. That was clearly the turning point of their heads-up match.

These have got to be better TV moments than "They're all in, AK against a pair of (insert your own number here)."

If the ratings are worse for the non-HE events, it's probably because the public doesn't know the games. The day after the first 2005 WSOP PLO broadcast, I logged on for some 1-2 PLO. Instead of the usual three or four tables, there were six tables in action. Presumably, people saw the game on TV and were curious to try it. If ESPN keeps broadcasting alternative games, the public will probably become well enough educated to appreciate the best poker, whatever form it happens to take.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 PM

i think people are also forgetting that there's PLENTY of room at the rio. they could easily have a HORSE event during the later part of the day of one of their smaller events, like the $5,000 LHE or something. there's no reason they can't expand without contracting their older games. i could easily see them spreading 50+ tournaments over 7 weeks.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM

completely hypothetical... but they could easily add at least two dozen other events. they have 200 tables, which they could fill every day if they made it 100 tables max per event, or just staggered the times. not every event uses all 200 tables, and they could easily schedule more stud 8 events to fill up 40 tables, have 100+ tables going for whatever event is that day, and still have room for cash games and satellites.

in fact, i think they could probably have two tournaments a day. i'm kind of surprised they don't do this as is, considering how much money they want to pump out of the series as is.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the players have spoken very clearly to Harrahs about what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, Harrah's wants players, ESPN wants viewers, players and viewers want Hold 'em. Everybody but the pro's are happy. What the problem?

Just more whining from the pro's. For some reason the pro's think because they are pro's there opinions are worth more. They are wrong.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Badugi is a game that seems to be gaining popularity among high-limit cash game degenerates.

It's 4-card triple draw rainbow. So the best hand is A-2-3-4 of different suits. Suits and pairs count against you, so if you don't have a badugi (a four card, non-paired, unsuited hand) the best three card hand wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

'cept it's not poker. Not really related to poker at all. May as well play gin rummy or cribbage.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'cept it's not poker. Not really related to poker at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Explain why not.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Could it be that some of the pros want non holdem events with higher buy ins, so they have a better chance to win a bracelet and keep their "famous pro" status?