Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Playing Again- multitable

Hey folks,
After 6 weeks off, due to lack of sleep due to twins, I decided to take advantage of the October reload. I was a little hesitant because I don't like playing while tired, but after not playing at all for weeks and jsut reading, I felt the draw.

I made a deposit on 10/12. With 4 kids, sometimes it is hard to get a chunk of time to play, so I decided to maximize my time by multitabling.

This was the first time I tried to multitable so I decided to start with two tables. I know that sometimes this "How do I" or "Should I start" threads pop up in this forum and I thought I'd share my experience.

My screen won't allow the table to be shown side by side, so I had to deal with overlap, another reason to only do 2 tables. The overlap was not that bad, but it was a little harder to gather information on folks b/c I didn't necessarily see how everyhand played out.

I've pretty much lost the "Oh my god I'm down...." or "Holy crap this pot is huge...." so I took this as an indication that I could handle having more $ in play.

It was a little challenging to have to focus on two tables. The pace was accelerated and I had to make decisions a little faster. Sometimes this was good b/c it didn't allow me to analyze a situation in-depth. This means in marginal situations, I was more likely to fold.
It also means I may have missed some opportunities.

It did maximize my time. In just under 30 minutes, I played in 31 raked hands (and finished +19BB). It was also more tiring with a bigger adrenaline rush. I was only able to play for a short time b/c my kids got up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I actually enjoyed playing this way. I am not sure I will always play this way, maybe if I get a bigger screen. I imagine that the pace will eventually start to feel slower and I will be able to concentrate a little more.

If you are a beginner, as I, and have wondered about the multitableing, you may want to give it a try.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Playing Again- multitable

I've been playin for a short time and am thinking of two-tabling as well...

Howver, I plan to start one table and get some reads and notes on my opponents before opening up another one. That way I believe can play more efficiently as I would have enough info on both tables while maximising time/hands.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 PM

I started multi tabling several weeks ago and have been working up to 4 tables. It's been good, because you tend to let go of marginal hands and you don't get into to pot simply to "get into the action."

As for your screen, right click your desktop-properties-settings-slider to the right for max res...that should help I play four tables with some overlap. The only problem is when playing two sites - Party's screens come to the top and you have to click on them before they'll drop back.

Adding a second table after playing at one is a good way to move up. However, I think reads are somewhat overrated at the micro limits, since tables are swamped with poor players. You will notice who is reckless and who is tight with your play. It may cost a couple of bets along the way, but it really won't affect your long term results much.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:14 PM

I have actually had a good morning with both infants asleep and my wife out with the other two kids. I did some more two-tabling, both at NL and limit.

I find that I get fatigued much more quickly.

Seat selection is a factor for ease of play. A far right and then a far left seat seem to work the best.

As for reads, it was a little easier to notice patterns of play with some more practice. The rate of play also became more managable.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:22 PM

I have been playing 4 tables for voer a year now. The person who taugt me how to play, used to play 8 tables of 5-10 on 2 different screens.
I tired 6 tables a few times, but felt like I was giving up too much.

Many of my students are going what you guys are going through and I tell them to take their time. If you have a good understanding of the "right" plays, then its easier to make the right decision faster. Therefore easier to play multitables. All of my students have a 1600x1200 resolution monitor though, so there is no overlapping. you can buy them cheaply for under $200 at any circuit city or best buy
Old 10-16-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All of my students have a 1600x1200 resolution monitor though, so there is no overlapping. you can buy them cheaply for under $200 at any circuit city or best buy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but with two new little ones and only one income as of yesterday, I can't justify the new monitor. I got used to the overlap pretty quickly.

I finished the bonus today, which was rather shocking to me. I took some bad beats but still managed to finish up +3.5BB not including the bonus.

I usually don't take advantage of the maximum bonus b/c I would never be able to clear the raked hands requirement wiht family and work, etc and I figure some of a bonus is better than none of a bonus. However, multitabling makes me see how it could be possible.

Interesting learning experience.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:31 AM

I'm impressed you get time to play at all. As for playing tired I'm trying to avoid playing even one table when I'm tired since I make way too many mistakes.

Since I'm working away from home 4 days a week I'm stuck mostly with only my laptop so I was hesitant to start multitabling. But after starting with two tables overlapping (one seat to the right one to the left) there was no going back to a single table. In the beginning I found it a bit stressful and wondered how on earth some people were able to do 8 tables but after two months with two tables I sometimes find myself a bit bored and open up a third one. Although it gets a bit messy on a small laptop screen.

Without PokerAce I'm not sure I would play more than one table though.