Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Irritating 80 Hand at Borg

I was playing in a great 80-160 game at Borgata this weekend and did pretty well, but this hand left a sour taste in my mouth. I returned from a break and posted behind the button. Everyone folded to me, I looked at K8o and made the obligatory raise. Button and SB folded, the BB called. I've played with him in the past at Taj and he seems decent...tight, but makes some moves.

Anyway, the flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he raises and I call. I figure he wouldn't checkraise three 9's straight off, so I put him on a 5, something like 66, 33, etc, or air. I figure I have 6 outs if behind and can raise the turn if an ace or perhaps a queen falls also. The turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He bets, I raise and he goes into the tank. Not looking at me, just thinking for about two minutes. He finally calls (ugh). The river comes an offsuit 6 and he checks. There is $1280 in the pot, so I'm getting 8-1 on a total bluff. Will he FINALLY give me credit for aces up if I bet often enough to make this profitable? Some people are stubborn, but will fold if you fire twice...of course, he could have an ace himself. Comments on the proper line for the flop, turn and river would be appreciated. I did play this hand pretty aggressively, but I feel like there was at least some sound reasoning behind my actions. My river play and results later.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Irritating 80 Hand at Borg

since he spent so much time thinking on the turn, i really think he's determined to go to showdown. i also don't think he'd think for so long w/ an A, if he had it. basically, just check behind and hope he has a small flush draw..
Old 08-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Fire again. The turn raise may have been more respected had it not put a flush draw on the board. But with the two clubs he may put you on a semi-bluff and call with his small pair, maybe hoping to get a free show down on the blank river. When you bet on the blank, he's gotta rethink it and hopefully give you the ace.

I probably fold the turn though.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:27 PM

you bet the river for meta hand reasons.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the flop comes 9 9 5 . He checks, I bet, he raises and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should fold on the flop, it sounds like the player isn't super tricky so he probably out flopped you or had the best hand before the flop, move on. Live to fight another day.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:58 PM

I think folding the flop here would be like putting a big "kick me" sign on my back. Plus I'm getting better than 7-1 odds to peel what is almost certainly 6 outs (and other potential bluff outs as I said). You don't want to be seen as a folder in this particular game.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to be seen as a folder in this particular game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I haven't played remotely as high as 80/160, but if you are seen as a folder, doesn't this give you some +EV because you will get more bluff bets into you when you have reasonable hands? Like when you have A4 in the BB, flop AQ5, you get bet into/checkraised by the guy holding the Q who thinks you fold and you call him all the way down extracting the max...
Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 PM

It's great when your hitting cards and your image causes you to get excessive action. But many nights you will not connect solidly with most flops...if you are seen as someone who can be run over, you will be bullied out of pots you would otherwise win.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM

I think the river is a must bet. The fact that he thought a lot may have meant he was figuring if he had odds to suck out. He will probably call, but I think you get the lay down significantly more than the odds require. Also, it is nice for fututre hands to let them know they don't get s.d. for 1 bet here.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to be seen as a folder in this particular game

[/ QUOTE ]

So you feel that the players in this game bluff TOO LITTLE... is that right? I doubt it.

Let's assume it is exactly what you mean though. If you are unwilling to get a reputation as a folder, how will you take advantage of your knowledge that your opponents don't bluff enough?

I think this whole "call so they don't think you'll fold" mantra is overrated.

my 2 cents.
Eric