Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Call or fold, boys (and girls)?

MP1 hasn't done anything outlandish for the 20 or so hands that I've seen him.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (7.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>
Old 07-26-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Call or fold, boys (and girls)?

Fold. More hands beat you than those that you beat, and barring reads this is a clear value raise on villain's part.

WIth that in mind, I like a check/call on the river, as crappy hands are likely going to try and rep the ace, while aces are betting anyways. Less bluffraising and more bluff-betting out when you check.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:18 AM

What he said. Check/call this river. No worse hand is calling you here, and better hands will never fail to raise you. But worse hands may bet if you check.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:26 AM

lacking a read I fold this river grudgingly.
MP1 not raising on the flop and turn makes a high PP rather unlikely. There aren't too many hands, somebody would 3bet preflop that aren't a pocket pair or contain an Ace.
Even if he had one of these (KQs, maybe KJs) or a frightened TT-QQ he had to be willing to bluffraise against a preflop capper that keeps firing on all streets. I don't think you see him bluffing 1/10 times.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:43 AM

call. it's 1BB on the river. if you get sucked out on, so be it. i probably would have check/called and hope some lower pocket pair or other UI overcards take a shot at this.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:52 AM

Check-call this river, although in the heat of the battle i'd probably bet too.

I guess its a fold, but against a slight maniac I might be tempted to call. 10BB pot is quite chunky and I dont think a call is terrible. If hes anything but a maniac, yeah I muck it.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 AM

Grunching.

I would really want to call this raise. It could be bluff-raise or it could be a value raise. Given the action, I would tend to think it was a value raise, so I would make a crying call.

Many players will play to the river hoping to pair up their Ace, even if it is Ace-rag. However, given the preflop action I begin to assume the villain does not hold Ace-rag. By calling your bets on the flop and on the turn instead of raising, I think the villain holds AT-AKs. If he held a medium pocket pair, I think he may raise instead of call. Although with the board like it is, he may not raise because he flopped a full house and wants to slowplay it. But again, if he does hold Ax, then Ace high may be good enough to win it anyway, and he could be slowplaying.

All of my incorrect hand-reading to the side, I offer a different approach to playing the river.

I think a better play on the end would be to check/call for the following reasons:

1. As I mentioned above, a lot of players call to the river with Ace-rag; however, given the preflop action I tend to rule out this holding.

2. There is a possibility that you could induce a bluff on the end. The villain may believe the Ace was a scare card for you, and try to push you off your hand with a bluff.

3. Again, the villain may believe the Ace was a scare card for you. However, if he has been paying attention, he may think you are bluffing, and raise your bet.

If you check/call the river, you avoid a bluff-raise, and save one bet if you decide to call.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 AM

grunch.

I say fold. He has AK or AQ?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:27 AM

why did you bet the river? check/call seems good. The way you played it, I fold if against a decent player.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:04 AM

I never-ever fold this heads-up. 10:1 odds. He can have a pocket pair a lot of times. Well at least 1 out of 11. Folding is a big mistake.
Check-calling looks good after you see the results but I think I would check it and hope to induce a bet by a lower pair.