Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Tossing AK

Folding this is bad. More often than not, every single out in your hand is live, and even with standard discounting you're getting plenty to call this.

Raising vs. calling is close. On one hand, raising might give us some strategic advantages, but on the other hand our raise almost certainly isn't for value. Also, we don't gain much equity from folding out SB unless he has precisely a small pair and BB is precisely on a flush draw. (Maybe there are other scenarios where SB will fold something for two bets that he would have called with for one bet, but I can't think of any).

I probably raise just because I don't want my opponents to consitently see me flat calling with overcards, but calling this is fine too. Folding is a mistake.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 AM

Call because you're usually just up against a 5 or a flush draw which you have redraws against (Honestly, I have seen more people fastplay trips lately, but maybe that's just 2/4).
I don't see what raising does for us because SB doesn't really pose any kind of threat to us given the cards we're drawing to. Clarkmeister was right. The free card play is ridiculously overused.

Edit: Maybe somebody will bump this thread if I link it:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are we increasing out chances a lot by going heads up? We are only increasing our chances here if we think AK is the best hand. If it is not right now, our chances of improvement really don't decrease with a lot of people in here as the board is drawless. If we spike our ace, we have the best habd. We beat all two pairs unless someone has AT-AQ and hits a runner runner two pair, or aces and Kings don't complete a draw. If we hit our hand, we are much more likely to be paid off than to pay someone off here assumg our outs are live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How are we increasing out chances a lot by going heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

3- handed 33.33% avg equity
HU - 50%

Thus a 33% increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 AM

Nobody is with me on calling flop, raising turn against some players?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How are we increasing out chances a lot by going heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

3- handed 33.33% avg equity
HU - 50%

Thus a 33% increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement makes no sense and shows quite a disturbing understanding of pot equity.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call this. I'd expect a 9 to be trickier than this, so I'd say it's more likely a 5 or middling PP. Likely enough that we can peel to our TPTK/flush outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is with me on calling flop, raising turn against some players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Define "some players".

If you assume that he's a fish who will never play trips this way, then I think it's also safe to assume that he's the type of player who isn't going to fold a 5 or PP in this spot.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
minus a read, i raise this flop to put the fear of an overpair in the back of his head (assuming, of course, that he's capable of realizing that) and because, honestly, i think you're looking at either a random 5, a flush draw, or 66-QQ (minus, of course, 99). anything else would mildly surprise me, but it wouldn't be the first time, i guess.

i then probably check the turn UI, putting myself in that odd situation where i invite the bluff from a busted flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I may bet the turn if the original better checks it (because there is a reasonable chance he may fold and you win the pot UI).
Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 AM

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Regarding a read: I had no specific read on this player as I had just sat down at the table. However, Gametime+ showed a 13% VPIP and 9% PFR% over 113 hands on this player.

How I would have changed my play: This is a good flop for a small pair. I believe I should have raised on the flop with the intent of taking a free card on the turn, or folding to a reraise.