Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Few more hands from snowbank, shorthanded limit rookie

Advice greatly appreciated:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Should I be calling the turn? River?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, SB folds.

River: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB

If he bets the river, can I call?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

Thoughts?

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

No clue about this hand. ????

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Should I be playing it like this, or do I have no idea what I'm doing on this one?

All comments are appreciated. I've only been playing limit for a day or two. Going to try and move up as fast as I can. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Few more hands from snowbank, shorthanded limit rookie

-While not forbidden, its generally frowned upon to include multiple hands in the same post. Such posts often get fewer replies since people don’t want to take the time to read all the hands involved.

I'm not busting your balls. I'm just letting you know that many people do not read multiple hand history posts.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:20 PM

Hand 1: I'm pretty sure you played this right. Often in these situations people will c/r their two-pair.

Hand 2: Whether or not you bet this river depends on what sort of things the SB bets into the field with on the flop. If he only does top pair, theres a decent chance you are outkicked, so in this case, I would check behind. (also, if he is capable of c/r'ing the river you would be in for some bad times indeed here)

If he donks the river just call. The pot is big. You will win more than 1/9 times easily here.

Hand 3: This hand makes me sad. The pot is huge and worth fighting for (especially with the hand you have). I'd 3ball the flop here and try very hard to knock people out of the pot with raises if they insist on sticking around.
(note - dont go into check-call/fold mode automatically because a player caps. You give up way too much money this way)

Hand 4 - This hand is well played. The flop 3ball is for value and a free card. I would consider raising the river here since many player will try to pick up the pot on the river with a bet if the turn was checked through (and likely draws didnt come in)

Hand 5: This hand is good. Keep in mind though, if your opponent is able to raise their flush draw on the turn (with a paired board) as a semi-bluff, you should consider calling and then check-calling the river if it doesnt look like they hit anything. The idea behind the check-call on the river is that you wont get called by a worse hand, though you may induce a bluff from weaker hands like busted flush draws or even king high.

Dont try to move up as fast as you can. Just move up whenever you are comfortable and capable of doing so.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:53 PM

I'm not busting your balls. I'm just letting you know that many people do not read multiple hand history posts.

No, I appreciate it, thanks. I was going to post all in different posts, but didn't want to clog the forum. Have so many questions right now since I just started playing limit yesterday. Good lookin out.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:01 PM

Not only the don't post multiple hands in one thread guideline, but don't post so many hands in one day. Respond to other posts, ask questions there. You are already sort of clogging up the forum.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:06 PM

I don't think you have been cluttering the forums. Either way, isn't too much interest in poker better than not enough? Onto the hands...

Hand 1: From my experience at 1/2, most players will only C/R the turn with the flopped trips or a made straight on the turn. This is very read dependant (what isn't in poker?), however, and calling down isn't bad. A LAG may wait for the turn to C/R a Q, but I have to think you are beat here more often than not. Without a read, the pot size and outs you may have probably justify a call down.

Hand 2: I check and call a bet if MP bets. I don't think you are giving up value since the only hands you beat now are A high or a smaller PP. It's close but you definately have to call if you do decide to check.

Hand 3: I can't see myself doing anything other than three betting that flop. This would have prevented the mayhem of having to call two bets cold on the turn. If CO still leads turn, I probably just call down.

Hand 4: The 3-bet worked quite well in buying you the free card. Well played hand overall.

Hand 5: I see myself playing it exactly the same way.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:03 AM

i'm curious as to how you don't raise the river in hand 1
Old 10-23-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm curious as to how you don't raise the river in hand 1

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the correct move on the river in this hand is to scream "ONE TIME!!!" and hit the raise button. who cares if you are by yourself in your own house.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:19 PM

1) Raise the river. If he has the queen then so be it, but likely he has the king for a worse full house.

2) I'd bet the river here - no action from MP showing he has a strong hand at the turn.

3) Tough hand here but I cap the flop and see how the action goes at the turn. You can be behind to AA or a set but the pot is too nice to fold with tptk.

4) I like the flop 3-bet as there are not many hands you are behind from here. Also gave you a free card at the turn. It's possible you are behind here on the river but I call for value - you have top pair.

5) Turn Im usually giving up this hand. Possible trips and flush draws where you have A high in a relatively small pot. I bet the flop here to see where Im at but the turn is a check for me.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:31 PM

Hand 1
On the river what do you think he has? Not many hands beat you and ones that do are unlikely to be held by your opponent.

Hand 2
Yes you call a river bet. Check/Call is probably the best line if opponent is capable of folding. If he has Ax he might bluff on the river after your check.

Hand 3
I think you gave up to easy. CO coldcalled preflop and UTG capper went into call down mode. Then again this is 1/2. Kinda hard to say w/o reads.

Hand 4
Fine

Hand 5
Situation sucks. Your out of position, this is read dependent. Laying the hand down is fine. Almost no one at this limit will take notice of you folding into raises and try semibluffing you later.

I know you have the roll and ability to move up limits. The only really thing you will learn from 1/2 is value betting and the basic mechanics of Limit SH. You know SH already. Most of your fish are passive up to 5/10. Just try to learn the differences between no limit and limit shorthanded and you will be fine. 1/2 is almost a waste of time.