Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Oh jesus! Dear God not again! - LC

Variance - yada yada yada - bitch - yada yada yada - 12 buyins ! yada yada yada

On average I end a session of 1500 hands up 2-3 buyins. Recently, I ran bad (tilted, sucked etc.) and dropped 12 buyins. After much panic self doubt and tears I pulled myself back to my previous level despite a 6 buyin downswing en-route. Slowly, my game returned to normal (I get tight scared after running bad) and my winrate returned too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Then today happened to me. In the space of 30 minutes and less than 100 hands I lost 10 buyins. I made no tiltesque plays, chased no long shot draws, and had no recourse to prayer. I was dealt 8 sets in this period along with a flopped Ace high str8 and a flopped Ace high flush and still I lost the most significant chunk of change I have ever lost in so short a time. This would normally be as many great hands as I see in a night. Only 2 of these hands got the money and both would have got the money if they'd been J high (no calls past the flop).

I was allin preflop once, KK v AA I had AA, I lost.
I had top set 9's and 8's, both allin on the flop, lost first to ab under set that made a one card flush, the other lost to an overpair that turned a set.
I had two set over set encounters both again escalated to all in on the flop, and lost a third set to a call down and river push from 2 pair that caught a rivered over to my under boat.
I flopped the nut str8 holding AQ on KJT rainbow and lost when the King paired making TT a boat.
The final straw and possibly the last hand of cards I'll ever play (until tomorrow) - AKs flopped the spade flush , lost to 56o (the 6 of spades) who hit the str8 flush 6789T.

My question following my rant, is there ever an upside to variance? When do I win 10 buyins in 100 hands? When do I even just get through a month (day?) without this kind of [censored] happening? Am I turning into the redpill?