Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Default A2s hits against PFR

This is kind of a tricky situation, and I'm not really sure what the best line would have been. The PFR is 34/2/0.5 over about 95 hands. He seems pretty passive. Is the preflop call horrible because the likelyhood of being dominated if/when I hit my A? This guy doesn't raise much, so it's most likely a big pocket pair or a big Ace.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

I hoped that the flop check/raise would let me 3 bet with a better A and I could ditch the hand. Not the best line I realize now, as I'm typing this Mr Passive just called a PFR with KK, and check/called down on an uncoordinated Q hi flop.

Do you guys typically ditch these small, suited Aces from the blinds when getting ok odds?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: A2s hits against PFR

Folding PF would be bad, especially since the SB called. Post-flop I think you should just check-call (maybe c/f the river). He probably has you beat, but I don't think 95 hands is enough to give you a read based fold with TP when he's clearly on a blind steal.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:29 PM

Getting 5-1, I will usually call from the big blind with Ax suited, primarily looking for the nut flush. So, I like the call preflop.

I'm really not sure about the flop check-raise. Might be fine. But, I probably check/call flop/turn/river because I'm thinking I'm WA/WB.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:39 PM

I call this preflop, especially if SB calls.

This looks like a WA/WB situation to me. Use the check/call, check/call, bet/fold line, especially if he's passive
Old 12-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I figured the odds were pretty good to call preflop.

With the C/R I was hoping to get 3 bet by an A. But I think this is the wrong guy to be doing that against, and it would probably fold a hand without an A. So WA/WB probably would have been better.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 PM

PF call is ok. Once the SB folds on the flop just take a WA/WB line. (c/c, c/c, b/f) You can fold to a river raise becuase this guy is passive, and this line will save you 1 SB versus the line you chose when you are behind.