Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Comp Psychology

I have encountered this attitude many places; I once worked for a company that had the same attitude. We were a high powered sales organization, and the company was still run by the man who founded and built the company. His attitude was always: "I'll pay you guys enough that you can go out and buy all the benefits everyone else is offering and still come out ahead." Anyone who left for the benefits and comforts of one of our competitors was sorely looked down upon. I bought into that for many years, but finally, due to many changes in my life including a great deal of maturity as I approached middle age, I went to work for one of those benefit heavy organization, and there were benefits out the wazoo; of course, I was young and strong, so I'd never need most of it. Then one day, disaster struck, and I ended up in the hospital with a ruptured disc in my back. Two years, 12 weeks of hospitalization, 18 months of physical therapy, approximately $250,000 worth of medical bills later, here I am. By the way, my benefits include the ability to work at home while I continue to recover, and through it all, I missed a total of 3 days pay! It may not be the same thing, but I believe the thinking is similar. Take advantage of the benefits; they do add up in the long run. Those who look down on that sort of thing as weakness are just trying to make themselves feel superior.

Good luck all,
Good luck all,
Old 04-15-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Comp Psychology

Hi Allan,
But isn't the best sales approach really to have the best product at the given price point?

Selling or buying anything else isn't too terribly rational is it?

Of course, this leaves out things with a personal angle.

I.E. a better piece of manufacturing machinery is a fairly objective decision... a better pair of shoes, assuming similar quality, ends up being a personal taste issue.

Sincerely,
AA