Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 09:16 AM

Default \"Nice Catch\"

$10-$20 hold'em hand I played a couple of days ago.

UTG's been in the game for about an hour. He has not appeared to of gotten out of line in any of his play as of yet :-)

He open raises. All fold to me in the BB. I look down and find pocket aces.

I 3-bet, he four bets and I five bet.

J J T (suits don't come into play in this hand)

I bet, he raises, I three bet, he four bets. I call.

J J T, 7

I check and call.

River brings a beautiful ace.

I check-raise, he three bets, I four bet (knowing I better put the brakes on pretty quick if he keeps bringing the heat).

He calls. (cool, I won't be looking at four jacks).

I table my hand. He screams, "Nice Catch!". Then slams his hand face up on the table, JT suited.

"Real nice catch, way to hang in there. Idiot"

I said nothing in return. He went on to stay and play and gamble away.

Flash forward to tonight. I'm in a 4-8 game waiting for a 10-20 seat. Long story short. I'm in the bb with 7,3 suited. A very aggressive lady open raises from late position. Small blind calls, I call (questionable at best?).

I flop a flush draw & a gutshot on a queen high flop. I check and call. We lose the sb.

I hit my flush on the turn, I check-raise. She calls.

The river is a rag. I check-raise again (I would normaly bet here but she does not ever seem to check around once she has seen a flop).

She 3-bets me. Uh,oh. What did I get myself into?

I call expecting to see a bigger flush (I already lost a flush vs flush earlier in the session).

I ask her if my flush is no good after I call?

She mucks and says "your flush is good". Flashing AQ. I table my hand and get pushed the pot.

"Nice Catch".

She calls me an idiot and tells me how bad a player I am. Then she starts on the whole table. "You 4-8 players are the worst" (as she's losing hand over fist).
After about ten minutes of her telling us how bad we play, I say...... "why don't you give us some lessons and then we'll know what cards to play".

She storms out of the room telling us about her WSOP successes and how we're all 4-8 peons or words to that effect.

If you have read this far, what do you think?

Do you always remain silent when a verbal onslaught is upon you in a poker game?

Or is there a time when enough is enough and EV can also stand for Enough Verbal?

Thanks

Howard

Old 04-01-2003, 10:57 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: \"Nice Catch\"

i enjoy when so called 'good' players blather their ignorance at the table like this. i think it's pretty entertaining. sometimes ill give a subtle response with a big grin on my face. trying to get more bang for my buck.

b
Old 04-01-2003, 12:57 PM

Howard:
Once or twice a while ago I'd turn to the angry player and say: "You don't complain when I play badly and lose. Why doesn't that bother you?" The results were unsatisfactory, and I stopped.

Gino
Old 04-01-2003, 01:05 PM

I was a retail store manager for years; nothing verbal bothers me. Talk all you want, just keep throwin' them chips out.

"ommmmmmmm.... I am a lightning rod, not a target ommmmm...."
Old 04-01-2003, 01:09 PM

A lot of the time when some one says "Nice catch", I simply say "You too" (since typically they surpassed my hand by catching something on the flop or turn). They don't know whether to think I am being sincere in response to their sarcasm, or being sarcastic as well. Either way, they become adequately pissed off.

-- Homer
Old 04-01-2003, 01:47 PM

I ususally don't respond to people. (Of course I always play perfect so I never get criticized ) If I dislike the person and want to tilt them I find laughing at them works well. Sometimes speaking to them very calmly in dismissive tones really sets them off. That I usually do for people who are jerks over things outside the game, not those who criticize hands and act like children about the cards. Being calm, dismissive, and insulting can be dangerous as you can push people into physically attacking you. It is sometimes a fine line when you want to tilt somebody. And I don't know that it's +EV. I usually make my decision whether to set somebody off on other factors, and I've only done it a couple of times. It is usually not the right thing to do because you are really dealing with pretty pathetic people who are hurting psychologically. The time I really did almost get physically attacked the guy was very personally insulting to me and another guy at the table. He wasn't criticizing our play. I got sick of it and sick of the fact the floor wasn't doing anything. So I said something dismissive and utterly insulting and he completely lost it. I found his biggest fear and psychological weakness and poked at it. I had to back off then because it would have resulted in violence if it went further. The floor finally did something though.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:22 PM

Default Hello,Howard! If the lady is NOW losing...

"hand over fist",she is probably on tilt.
At this juncture,U want to encourage her to stay and play in her "tilt mode".
In stud,when my opponent chases my big pair with 1 under-pair,and we both don't improve,I tell him that I'm "lucky" that he did not hit a second pair to beat my one big pair.
I encourage his incorrect play and make him feel good at the same time.
I do not want to chase "bread and butter" away from the table.
Sometimes,I see good players criticizing the bad players at the table. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
I do not understand the logic of this.
The net result is that the bad players leave and the good players stay. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
When this happens,it's ALWAYS good to ask for a table change. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Happy pokering,
SittingBull
Old 04-01-2003, 04:24 PM

I think you handled it well. I see this sort of thing at Mohegan Sun all the time and usually I see it as part of my entertainment....Hell, it is better than Saturday Night Live.

I really don't egg people on too much, but once after being called an [censored] for picking off someone's bluff (the exact quote was, "You and the rest of the assholes at this table can't play, and I'll take all of your money") I started to stack the chips I won from him in a different pile. I just smiled at him.... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Hello,Howard! If the lady is NOW losing...

Thanks for the input SB.

Yes, you don't want to chase away bread & butter. An older gentleman on my left said to me after she stormed out of the room, "Why did you say anything to her? Look at all those chips in front of you. Let her say what she wants to say. You've got her chips. THAT'S what counts".

Of course he is right. I was just wondering, is there a point where
enough is enough?

Thanks

Howard
Old 04-01-2003, 05:22 PM

I can relate to your Saturday Night Live comment.

This lady went on & on about how she is a regular in the Bellagio $80-$160 game (btw, I'm not saying she's not, I don't know, don't care, but I find it a little funny that she thinks it's so important to mention over & over).

She also said that all good players can tell exactly how everyone at the table plays, in ten minutes or less. That all 4-8 players are idiots and that if we come to the Bellagio 80-160 she'll kick everyone's ass.

She said to also look for her at the final table of the WSOP.

Ol King Kong got nothin' on her!

Thanks everyone for the input.

Howard