Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Smoke Screens (Wynn 5/10)

Live 5/10 at the Wynn.

Passed to me (~2k) in MP and I wing out 30 with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Called by button (~1400) and BB (very good player who reads me well, has ~2k).

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks. I check. Button bets a small handful, which ends up being 120 or so. BB calls. I call.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. I bet 250. BB insta-calls. BB thinks for a little bit and calls.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB quick-checks. I move all in.

Justification for my play to come later if I can manage to concoct some sort of convincing argument. Otherwise just the results.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Smoke Screens (Wynn 5/10)

I like the river, especially if you normally bet your draws but checked this time...I almost always bet my draws so this would be a perfect play for me based on teh flop action. Let me get this straight though, Button overbet the flop, you bet turn, button insta calls, BB thinks for a little and calls?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:10 PM

it doesn't look like bb likes his hand too much up until the turn, so what you're praying for is that bb has made a flush on the river. even so, i think bb would've bet his flush on the river, knowing that was a card that he would think you and button may not have wanted to see. i'm not sure if bb would call even with a flush on the river, smelling something suspicious. he would have to put you on a pure bluff to call, knowing that AK/AQ/AT would probably want a cheap showdown.

i'm not sure what my course of action would be...but if you feel that you have a crazy image (ie calling all ins with 93o) then the push is fine. if you're a tight ass mofo like me, i like a 1/2-3/4 pot bet (around 600-800), which has a better chance of getting a call from at least the button or the bb, and if bb has a flush, he will certainly pay that off.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Justification for my play to come later after I can manage to concoct some sort of convincing argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I luv that quote... will be stealing it for my own donk plays

edit- er.. not to mean that your's was a bad play, I like it.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:26 PM

I'll give a go at guessing your reasoning. button is more likely to have called your raise with a drawing hand than high cards. so on the flop there's a good chance he's betting a draw, maybe he can take it down and maybe he gets a free ride to the river if he gets called. you realize this and bet the turn to punish him. if you were heads up it could almost be a value bet with king high (!!).

the fly in the ointment is the BB, what does he have? very hard to put him on a hand playing this way, it's hard to put him on a draw with a flop check call, so I lean towards a made hand of some kind, probably pretty good but not great. would he play AK this way? it's possible I guess. I can't come up with a hand that would play the flop and turn this way.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-16-2005, 02:28 PM

I thought the button is more likely to have a flush [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. the BB check calling a pot overbet (120 into a 90 pot) would be a pretty bad play unless he was sure he was getting paid. I can't put him on a flush draw for that reason.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 PM

good point turnip

however, i'm having difficulty as well as to what bb could be holding...perhaps AK, but i see that giving up on the turn to a bet and a call.

bottom set could be the most likely, but i don't think bb is going to call an all in with that. plus i think a set, two pair hand would've spoke up earlier in the hand to protect against the diamonds.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't like the turn or river.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight though, Button overbet the flop, you bet turn, button insta calls, BB thinks for a little and calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's correct.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:15 AM

I am fairly new to these limits, but why can't BB have Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Even A3)?

We know that OP said the BB could read him well. Doesn't this essentially give the BB better implied odds?

With confident reads, he might play any PP or any suited A.

Am I way off base with this?