Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM

Default 2-5 Blind QQ Huge River Bet Hand

This happened at Hollywood Park (in LA) about an hour ago. 2-5 Blind $200 Max Buy-In.

Comments/suggestions/flamage welcome on every aspect of this hand.

Read on Villain is he is a semi-skilled emotion-driven, agressive player who is currently on tilt because i took $500 of his stack about fifteen minutes prior to this hand with a higher flush.

Seat 2 is a decent player who can be a calling station in big pots. He plays a bit too passive and a bit too loose.

Seat 5 ~$900 (Villain)
Seat 6 ~$1050 (Hero)
Seat 2 ~$500
Seat 3 ~$200

7-handed, here is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Seat 2 calls $5, Seat 3 calls $5, Villain complets SB $2, Hero raises $20. Seat 2 calls. Seat 3 calls, Villain calls.

Flop (pot $100-rake): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets $50. Seat 2 calls, seat 3 folds, villian calls.

Turn: (pot $250-rake) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, hero bets $125, Seat 2 calls, villain makes some odd noises, pounds the table with his chips and acts very frustrated as he throws $125 into the pot.

River: (pot $525-rake) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, seat 2 checks, villain instantly and confidently throws $500 into the pot.

WHAT DO I DO???? WHAT DOES HE HAVE???? WHAT DOES SEAT 2 HAVE??????

Andre
Old 06-09-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: 2-5 Blind QQ Huge River Bet Hand

Why did you check the river? I'd throw out a blocking bet of $200-$250 and fold to a raise. It's hard to know what either player has since they've played so passive. Though I wouldn't be suprised if atleast one of the was on a flush draw (possibly with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) since you checked the river I don't see how you can call this - I doubt you're good more than 35% of the time here.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a damned good question. It wasn't strategic and i CERTAINLY did not think that i'd be put to this test...i figured somebody may toss out $100 or so if they bet and i'd call and we'd see what happened.

It was just automatic, the pot was pretty massive already and i was content to win it as it was...I guess position really screwed me in this hand.

Andre

Edit: o and i definately put the villain on a flush draw on that river...KJd was flashing through my head. Didn't put that in the OP cuz its just damned obvious.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 AM

I don't play stakes this high so bare with me, but your bets seem a bit small on all streets. After 2 limpers+completer, I'm making it 6BB from the blinds. I bet more like 3/4 on the flop and turn. As played, I throw out a blocker on that river.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Is it normal for people to be up 5-8 buy-ins at this game? And do you find it to be more or less profitable to have a big stack?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 AM

ya probably right but $30 just was never tossed out pre in this game, i doubt it would have been called. As for flop/turn I think you're right, i should have bet larger to protect my hand...i was giving the villain proper odds if he did have the draw.

What is a 'blocker'? Obviously I can assume what it means from the context....but if somebody could break it down i'd appreciate it much.

Andre
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 AM

ya for sure, this is B&M...people stay at one table for 4-10 hours plus. A good hit in this game is something like $1000-$1500 profit...at the next level up ($400, 5-10 blinds) I've seen people with $4k in front of them and it is VERY COMMON for people to have $1500-2500 in front.

Loose games, i'm moving away from LA, i'm gonna miss it. Commerce/Bike/Hustler/HP all have VERY BEATABLE cash NL games.

Andre
Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 AM

Blocking bet: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a 'blocker'? Obviously I can assume what it means from the context....but if somebody could break it down i'd appreciate it much.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bet you make on the river out of position, that is designed to "block" your opponent(s) from bluffing you out of the pot. It should be roughly the same size as your value bets (as an added bonus you'll sometimes get calls from hands you beat that would otherwise have checked behind).

Edit: Read the link kongo_totte posted, it explains it a lot better.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 AM

phenomenal, thanks

ya this is clearly what i should have done...i proper bet here would have been in the $150-$200 range yes?

Andre