Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Becoming a pro

I'm fairly young...not even in college yet. I take cards very seriously and read books and study all the time. I wish more then anything to make this my profession when I get older. Is there any advice you can give me on this on what to do or any advice in general. Thanks.

Mike
Old 05-30-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Becoming a pro

Go to college and support yourself in college by playing poker.

Get a good job after college while continuing to play poker. If internet poker is still alive and fishy after a few years of working, and working doesn't appeal to you then think about going pro. In the mean time just play as much as you can, read as much as you can, and browse 2+2.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 AM

If you are starting your own thread on this its probably not a good sign you should go pro. If you were in the posistion to go pro you would already have read the 5,000 posts on the subject while browsing the forums.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:54 AM

Start building a bankroll, learn how to manage it.

Get some type of education to skill set to fall back on.

Play when you can, learn, get better.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Don't Lose!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:58 AM

A fast paced exciting career in the high stakes professional poker world. You too can sit on your ass all day and experience lower back problems from sitting 15 hours at a time. Folding for hours is so much fun but to kill the time you can listen to all the bad beat storys. Every one Ive heard is so original. Its like the first time every time. I would rather be a professional Quintile's test research subject for the latest cures on genital herpe's. Poker is the most boring profession I could possibly imagine. If you find it fun then your playing too many hands and wont make it. Why in the hell would anyone want to rely on this as their sole source of income. Silly ass.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A fast paced exciting career in the high stakes professional poker world. You too can sit on your ass all day and experience lower back problems from sitting 15 hours at a time. Folding for hours is so much fun but to kill the time you can listen to all the bad beat storys. Every one Ive heard is so original. Its like the first time every time. I would rather be a professional Quintile's test research subject for the latest cures on genital herpe's. Poker is the most boring profession I could possibly imagine. If you find it fun then your playing too many hands and wont make it. Why in the hell would anyone want to rely on this as their sole source of income. Silly ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any advice you can give me on this on what to do or any advice in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports will make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker."
Old 05-30-2005, 04:44 AM

what u have to do is, experience a pretty disturbing downswing if u can handle that and still want to play to pay bills soley on poker than my friend and only then would i say that u should check ur self directly into the pyschiatric ward.
good luck
Old 05-30-2005, 05:05 AM

Go to school, get a degree, have a part time job if cards are *Really Important*. When you have enough to retire, then you can play cards for a living.