Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Pop the river? LA 3/5

Villain is tight, very patient and ABC and proud of it. rarely if ever bluffs. Plays this game regularly, does well when the better players aren't there. doesn't suck, he's quite logical/analytical but just very meek/scared by nature. kind of person who hates mornings cos he always wakes up as himself.

Previously i have called two withering barrels from him with a straight draw on a fairly drawless board and blown him off TP2K; he held KQ on a queen high board when the second card paired on the river. He showed the fold. I said "damn, nice" and mucked. normally we get along, but he doesn't like the way i play because it doesn't make sense to him that i should be able to ever win. I don't know if he suspected anything from that.

preflop:

He (1300) opens for $25 UTG and it's folded to me in MP with 77, I (1100) call, blinds fold.

flop (55): Q74r

He bets 35 (his default is an underbet on any/every board), I call

turn (125): 4 of 4th suit

He bets 85, I call

river (295): A

He bets 150

Thought about my actions for a while here, what's the move?
FWIW, I'm pretty sure he dumps the turn to a raise when the board pairs. maybe this would have been a more interesting hand had i held 56.

fim
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Pop the river? LA 3/5

It seems like he has AA-QQ, and KK isn't going to pay off a raise. I just call here, even though it seems weird to just be calling all the way with a flopped set. Maybe if he would open with AQ UTG it would be worth a raise here, but for a tight ABC player, I can't see anything other than AA-QQ here.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 AM

IMO, you need to test him out somewhere else during this hand. Try a small raise on the flop and let him define his hand (as ABC players generally do). Your only risk is to move him off JJ and usually a tight player will shut down with that hand after the flop anyway.

As you played it, you have legitimate reason to be scared on the river if he's as tight as you say he is. I'd say just call as either AA or QQ seem just as likely as A-Q (the only three hands i can put a tight ABC player on at this point). Is that too wussy?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 AM

If he's betting $35 with anything as a default continuation bet, wouldn't it make sense to just call and see what he does on the turn before raising to define your hand? You have position and if he totally wiffed with AK, you don't want to blow him off of his hand before he can fire again on the turn, right? Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM

Yea, but most tight ABC players won't fire again on the turn with AK or JJ
Old 04-13-2005, 07:23 AM

Good point. So either raise on the flop and blow off JJ-AK and other PPs or take the chance of him not betting again. He could also be betting AA ..hmf. If Hero check-raises and Villain calls, do you slow down? I'm going to get some sleep and check the replies later. Tricky situation. GN.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hero check-raises and Villain calls, do you slow down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is in position so he can't check raise...But yes, if he's got AA, i definitlely like giving him a chance to get more money in there quicker
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM

But AK is more likely than JJ (both in # of ways, and more likely to open UTG I think), not to mention that AK is more likely to hit on the turn.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 AM

If he is as tight as you say he is, and rarely bluffs...im gonna say he has AA or QQ. AQ seems unlikely from a tight player UTG, tight player with AK rarely fires on the turn without hitting. I lean a little towards QQ, because if he has AA he either tries CR'ing the river , enticing you to bet or overbetting, making it look like hes trying to buy it. This is my thought pattern, thoughts?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kind of person who hates mornings cos he always wakes up as himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comments on the hand, but this is probably my favorite read of any player ever posted on the board...

(actually I think you can raise fairly comfortably to ~400)