Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Best Straddle Ever (Little/No Actual Content)

one of the reasons I grow tired of online poker is the lack of a live straddle. nice hand! next time just move in before the flop. someone might put you on a steal and call with JJ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I also enjoy posting sleepers. do you west coasters call that killing it or something?

--turnipmonster
Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 PM

Ni han.

ROFLMFAO on your aces getting cracked on a straddle!

I occasionally straddle to fire up a cold decked game or to encourage others to do it as well. Last week I did it in a 1-2 blinds NL game and wound up flopping a straight with 62o and winning a big pot.

But my fav occurred a few years ago in a 6-12 at the mirage. I was flirting with this foxy girl in the game, but she said she would never date poker players cuz they were too damn cheep. So the very next hand I straddled. I got AK, woohoo! Player trying to play well does the standard "raise against the straddler" maneuver and it's folded to me, I make the "crying call," heads up. I flop the ace and so does he. After my turn check-raise he three bets and I four bet. I take the pot vs. his A9s. I did wind up getting a lunch date out of that one after all....

al
Old 07-20-2004, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 1-2. I'm in a gambling mood and have been playing "straddle & blow out any limpers" regularly. Nobody seems to be amused by it except me.

I straddle. 7 limpers to me. I peek down and see aces. Hee hee. I make it 40 more to go and get 5 (count 'em: 5) callers. Then, I move in the rest (~150) blind.

Result: I get out flopped by KJo and lose a pretty large pot. Whoops. I toke the dealer a buck when he tells me he won't deal me aces anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, we need a great straddle post every once in a while...sorry about the aces, that chit is just too funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

fsuplayer
Old 07-20-2004, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody seems to be amused by it except me.

[/ QUOTE ]

They never are... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Then, I move in the rest (~150) blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely makes for a good story, but I think that Bruiser is right. If I were going to make a blind bet, it would be with AK, not AA...

ML4L
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM

Yes, I'm aware that my play screams aces.
But...
I gotta figure I'm getting called in one place even if the board completely blanks out. I was seen as such a wacko/maniac/crazy I'd likely be called by ace-ten if the flop came 2-5-8. Plus, is there really a difference between:
1)looking at the flop for a second, and then moving in
and
2) moving in blind
to a bunch of players whose only thought was how much they'd love to bust the loose kid who bluffs too much? Hand reading is typically not the strongest suit of most 1-2 100 max NL players. And NOBODY ever wants to fold to a big bet by me, the youngest looking guy in the room.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:12 PM

Default The REAL best straddle ever

$1-$1 PL holdem. I am UTG and straddle. I also give UTG+1 3$ and force him to restraddle. Fun game.

I check in the dark on the flop which comes 9TJ. UTG+1 bets the pot, I find QK, we get it all in against his TJ and I stack him off.

So [censored] rigged.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Hey,

Your play was cute but it sucks, unless you are the type to Gambooooooooooooooooool
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Hey,

Your play was cute but it sucks, unless you are the type to Gambooooooooooooooooool